Snorkeling in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhboner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I will be in Cancun for a week starting Friday and will be heading over to Coz for a day trip with my wife. I have dived in Cozumel many times but (unfortunately) my wife doesn't dive. As a compromise, we were thinking of a snorkeling trip. Since I have never done a snorkeling trip in Coz before I am looking for suggestions...which dive ops do snorkeling trips and where do they go. Many thanks gang!

Was it really 53F in Coz before sunup this morning? Coz airport and Cancun airport were both reporting temps in the 50s, but other sites in Coz were reporting 70s? All the weather sites can do is repeat what is given to them.

This is not Cozumel but since you are coming down from Cancun, I would really give some consideration to snorkeling at Akumal - just south of Playa del Carmen. When I was there last June we saw an Eagle Ray, squid, turtles galore not to mention the beach there is awesome and there is good food on site.

Was it really 53F in Coz before sunup this morning? Coz airport and Cancun airport were both reporting temps in the 50s, but other sites in Coz were reporting 70s? All the weather sites can do is repeat what is given to them.

Yeah, I think it has been pretty chilly over night and in the early mornings, but warming up to the 70's quickly. Christi has been posting FB posts that indicate that is the case.

There are some dive ops and tour ops that go to El Cielo (Ceilo?), (I think it is near Punta Sur), and folks seem to like that quite a bit. Blue Angel, Albatross Charters & the previously mentioned Tiger all go there.

Also if you can stand the cattle boat, the Fury catamaran is kind of fun. You at least get out over the reef and not just in the shallows. We did it a couple times YEARS ago before my wife got certified.

We've spent the afternoon at Playa Corona before, not too bad snorkeling along there. Love that little place, wish they would rebuild their pier.

The 'Blue Angel shore dive'/Villablanca Shallows area isn't bad for snorkeling.

Between Casa del Mar and Papa Hogs is very nice.

I think there is some pretty decent snorkeling off San Juan beach at Buccano's Beach Club. My wife and some girlfriends recently went on a cruise and stopped on Coz & did Buccano's for the day and had a wonderful time. It had recently rained, so the water was stirred up and they didn't do any snorkeling that day.

We were snorkeling a few weeks ago.

We stayed at the Iberostar. We did several dives with their dive op (Dressel), but didn't want to snorkel with them. They didn't offer any snorkel-only boats. They charge $52 for snorkelers to go out on the same boat as divers. We wanted a boat dedicated to snorkelers.

We went out twice with a snorkel boat leaving from Alberto's, a beach restaurant about a 5 minute walk north of the Iberostar. They had snorkel boats going out at 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00. They went to Columbia Shallows and two other sites. Trip was $40/person and included cold drinks (water, soda and beer). One guide was Chalo. (I don't remember the name of the second guide.) Both were very good.

I can't find Chalo's email address, but he did respond to emails a couple years ago when we first used him. You can probably reach him through Alberto's.

Ron

My wife reports freezing half to death recently since we don't have heat. She swore it was in the low 60's inside at night, where it's almost always warmer than outside at night. Our Nest thermostats say it's 74 inside at our house as I write this, though.

The snorkeling from the shore at Chankanaab is fabulous. If you want to go a bit cheaper Money Bar also has excellent shore snorkeling.

When we were diving Paradise Reef boatloads of snorkelers kept being dropped overhead of us- but the reef is so far below the snorkelers, it seems like it would be a pretty disappointing experience unless you were a really good free-diver. Yeah, the visibility is excellent, but you are nowhere near the reef.

Back
Top Bottom