Snorkel types

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigsnowdog

Contributor
Reaction score
During my checkout dives I was using a borrowed snorkel. While swimming on the surface, performing a compass skill, I kept getting water in the snorkel, requiring that I stop so I could breathe and not choke.

I had borrowed the snorkel from my lady, who happened to be in the water when I was testing. I told her of my problem and asked if she thought I was tilting my head too far somehow, putting the end of the snorkel underwater.

She indicated that she watched the whole time after my initial complaint and never saw the tip of the snorkel go underwater or even near. That tells me the water was coming in somewhere else, like the check valve in the bottom.

I admit to not being a big snorkel fan, so I consider buying one without a valve that could malfunction. There do not seem to be many, or perhaps any, available with no valve?

Reactions to this whole situation? Subsequent testing of the snorkel back home did not reveal a problem with the valve. I am puzzled. I don't see how it could have been leaking in around the mouthpiece as it fits well.

Did you do skin-diving prior to scuba as part of your course?

On the surface it sounds like you went face down enough to dip the tube into the water, regardless of the observer. I did it a time or two this morning! Knowing that you don't have the history of this gear there are some possibilities.

If it has a purge valve there could be some sand in it allowing seepage that fills the sump of the snorkel and caused you to aspirate water.

The mouthpiece or flex section may not have a sung fit. I like to tie wrap those just like a regulator mouthpiece.

Unless it catches you at the wrong time you should be able to blow the snorkel clear without skipping a beat.

Yes you can buy a simple J tube snorkel at a dive shop and it will be perfectly adequate. If you expect to be surface swimming on choppy water some sore of splash shield is nice to have. The purge valve is not really needed. The flex link can be nice but it's expendable too.

Pete

Did you do skin-diving prior to scuba as part of your course?

On the surface it sounds like you went face down enough to dip the tube into the water, regardless of the observer. I did it a time or two this morning! Knowing that you don't have the history of this gear there are some possibilities.

If it has a purge valve there could be some sand in it allowing seepage that fills the sump of the snorkel and caused you to aspirate water.

The mouthpiece or flex section may not have a sung fit. I like to tie wrap those just like a regulator mouthpiece.

Unless it catches you at the wrong time you should be able to blow the snorkel clear without skipping a beat.

Yes you can buy a simple J tube snorkel at a dive shop and it will be perfectly adequate. If you expect to be surface swimming on choppy water some sore of splash shield is nice to have. The purge valve is not really needed. The flex link can be nice but it's expendable too.

Pete

No, we did not do skin diving.

I was not able to successfully purge the snorkel, which was also surprising to me and I now realize I had not mentioned. I would blow out and could tell water would go out, but not enough, as a next inhale brought in some more water.

I'm a HUGE fan of simple J snorkels.

Two that work well for me are the Cressi America and the Cressi Corsica.

The Corsica is great in that it's very flexible and bounces right back. So, I folding it and shove it in a pocket when I don't want to have a snorkel hanging from my mask. (I.e., when I'm not assisting in or taking a class.)

I'm a HUGE fan of simple J snorkels.

Two that work well for me are the Cressi America and the Cressi Corsica.

The Corsica is great in that it's very flexible and bounces right back. So, I folding it and shove it in a pocket when I don't want to have a snorkel hanging from my mask. (I.e., when I'm not assisting in or taking a class.)

Interestingly I find those models for sale on the web, but they are not on the Cressi site. Does that mean they have been officially discontinued?

No, we did not do skin diving.

Well, since they did not start with the basics you will need to sort out if it was gear issue or if you just weren't putting enough zing into it. In any event getting into one of your own is the first step.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom