Snorkel or no snorkel and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Group. First time posting to this forum. I do not wear a snorkle but I tuck one either behind the doubles or on the inside of my left leg. If I get blown off a wreck and have to be in the water for a long time I will need it but I don't want it sticking up in the wreck to snag.

I suspect that one of the recent deaths in San Diego, for one, could be traced to lack of a snorkel.

fishb0y:
I don't like to use a snorkel. I'm not quite sure why people spend $30+ for a "dry" snorkel when it will be under water most of the time, plus I see them as a potential snag hazard. If you don't use a snorkel, at what point in your diving career did you get rid of it? Your thoughts?
Took it off my mask right after BOW. Long before it was acceptable to do so. (1970's)(Very hard to get past the training.) I found in a current it would break the seal of my mask. Also had problems when I back rolled off the boat.
Took to stuffing one behind my knife straps on my leg if I thought I might have a surface swim. (I prefer to swim on my back though)
No longer carry knife on my leg, so I presently carry a folder tucked away. (very hard to get past the training.)

I read on the Internet that I didn't need a snorkel. So I stopped using mine.

Seriously though...I ditched mine after about my 10th dive. My mask leaks less now. :)

pescador775:
I suspect that one of the recent deaths in San Diego, for one, could be traced to lack of a snorkel.
Somehow I doubt the DIR folks invented the idea of ditching the snorkel.

Would you care to post something to back up your assertion that a diver (GUE influenced or not) died due to lack of a snorkel?[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Unfortunately it is required for me to use a snorkel in training. I use mine for training and when diving with students. When diving for pleasure I leave it at home; no whale sharks around here.

If I'm in the tropics I often take mine on the boat, in case we come across a reason to snorkel a little, but I don't dive with it.

For surface swims I'm more comfortable on my back and the damn thing is always in the way.

Pros - safety & convenience ( try even a short surface swim or wait without a regulator or snorkel), save air for diving not floating ( while waiting for others to get in the water)

Cons - Another gadget, cost, could tangle in rocks, coral, or kelp, drag.

you decide based upon what is important to you and how you dive.

pescador775:

I would like to say where the authorities attribute a lack of a snorkel to a dead scuba diver.

Gee, another old topic being beaten to death again. :D
I always have mine along... someplace. It won't be on my mask when I'm underwater though.
With a little practice they can pull double duty as a signaling device, saves me the trouble of having to chase down a conch. :wink:
unless I'm hungry.

SNORKLE? NOPE.. i went to Mc.D's and stole a mess load of straws. Stick them in the wetsuit just in case i need to make one underwater.

Back
Top Bottom