Diving with a snorkel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't remember if I have ever did a recreational dive without a snorkel at all in my active 50 years of diving. It is an essential dive equipment for me and I always dive with it attached to my mask. I use it extensively getting to dive spots from shore when swimming on surface (which I do almost always). Even if I don't use it, it is always better to have it on and not use it than not having it when needing it.

I am well trained and experienced using it so no complaints/whining or any issues using it or just having it attached to my mask.

I'm a Solo diver and have been for many years. I probably carry a little more "oh crap" gear than most for those times when things go wrong. A couple of line cutters, a whistle, a signaling device, a RBFK on my calf (that's R for Really), etc. I also carry a snorkel. Most of the time, it's stuck in a pocket out of the way. I did have to use it once and honestly believe that I would have drowned without it.

There is no Wrong Gear.
If it works or doesn't work for you, either use it, trash it or change it.
Most divers have drilled, bent, tied, burned, glued, cut or just completely started from scratch to make equipment work. We all dive differently and in different places.
You forgot duct tape?

In the four decades I have been diving, I have used the snorkel if I have a long surface swim from the entry point to my target or if I anticipated a long swim back. I don't do much diving that requires that type of swimming. If I did I would use it still.

Bottom Line: Figure out what works for you

It depends on the location? Shore diving - sure, a simple snorkel is useful.

Boat diving? Put a reg in your mouth when you stand up, take it out only when you are back on the boat… you can’t breath through a snorkel underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom