Snorkel or no snorkel and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I don't like to use a snorkel. I'm not quite sure why people spend $30+ for a "dry" snorkel when it will be under water most of the time, plus I see them as a potential snag hazard. If you don't use a snorkel, at what point in your diving career did you get rid of it? Your thoughts?

i used to use a snorkel but after taking my dir classes i scrapped it altogether. also being most of my dives are boat dives i dont see the need for it, i dont need the extra entanglemnt issue and drag posed by using the snorkel.

If my dive will include a surface swim I will at least bring a snorkel.

Most of the time I don't use a snorkel.

fishb0y:
I don't like to use a snorkel. I'm not quite sure why people spend $30+ for a "dry" snorkel when it will be under water most of the time, plus I see them as a potential snag hazard. If you don't use a snorkel, at what point in your diving career did you get rid of it? Your thoughts?

I stopped using one after about dive 30. I still keep one in with my dive kit though - mainly in case I'm on a dive where a dive operator or instructor insists I use one.

Generally I think they're more a hazard than a help though.

If you don't need it, don't bring it. After 50 dives I realized I hadn't used it once. Still one day when I had forgotten it, I felt my heart rush. Now what should I do??! Could I dive without it? But we used them in my OW and AOW classes! Well, I did my dive without it, and haven't used a snorkel to anything but skin diving ever since.

To use a snorkel in the surface, what's it good for? It's very much more straining to breath in than you regualtor. In fact, I am not sure you should use a snorkel during a "heavy" workout, as it can be to get back to shore in swelling seas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom