Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Smokers shouldn't be in the water

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • Don't smoke, Don't care who smokes

Votes: 57 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I know for certiain - smoking is unhealthy. But there are also a lot of things that are unhealthy. An unhealthy diet could lead to high cholesterol to heart disease. Having a buddy that fits into such a category would be scary - I'd hate to have a buddy need to be defibbed while 50' under :wink: However, an unhealthy diet is not as obvious as someone who smokes, you don't have to know their health history to know if they are a smoker. One of my frequent buddies is a smoker and a lot of my friends smoke. It's their choice. I also know that this buddy is a competent diver and I trust him and have no problem with him smoking, although I encourage him to quit.

Vlade Divac and Pele smoked and are (were) good/great athletes. Smoking doesn't necessarily make you a diving hazard. I guess it comes down to how well you know the person and whether you trust them or not - which seems to be the route you would take regardless of if they were a smoker or not in chosing a buddy.

But Vlaid can't finish, and so he's in Excramento where he will win nothing.

Look at you - a So Cal mixing in a No Cal sports take.

Shame on you.

:D

K

PS: I have a beard too, but at least I shave my frikin' neck.

LOL ... don't forget Vlade used to play down here in the purple and gold :wink:

Mixin' it works! The shame, yeah, it's all mine, but hey, I don't have a beard, and I most certainly smoke, and at times, I even smoke while I shave my fricken' neck! How's that for mixin' it? *grin*

*puff puff*
Smokin' and shavin' my neck in the cold waters of So Cal.

-Dennis

Mo2vation once bubbled...
But Vlaid can't finish, and so he's in Excramento where he will win nothing.

Look at you - a So Cal mixing in a No Cal sports take.

Shame on you.

:D

K

PS: I have a beard too, but at least I shave my frikin' neck.

BTW, Mo2vation, I keep forgetting to comment on your pic, that is a pretty cool action pic. I sooooo want an action shot like that.

-Dennis

Having said all that preceded, I am considering quitting myself, I am off for two weeks of diving and thinking about just doing the cold turkey thing while there. The idea being that I'll be away from the usual stresses and strains of life here but at the same thing enjoying my favourite activity, hence more motivation. Any opinions or reccomendations from the recent smokers on the list ?

Speaking of Motivation, Mo2vation I have to agree, that is a great avatar.

Metridium - Huh ?

dvleemin once bubbled...
To me, smoking isn't much of an issue. I know plenty of smokers who are in really good shape.

A much bigger issue is obesity. I will not buddy up with someone who is obese.

Diving, obesity and smoking should never be used in the same sentence - consider it one of the new grammer rules of "safe" English.....

P.S. Do introduce your "really good shape" smokers to some insurance carriers, last time I looked, most offer better life insurance premiums to non-smokers. Maybe their stats are wrong. Get real, the jury's in on this one (http://www.pas-online.org/stats_usa.html). Let's stop apologying for people's bad decisions - the diagnosis is done, the solutions are readily available, and the money can be better spent on nifty dive gear - get to it! Oh, BTW I'm part of the ~80% majority that don't smoke and are tired of coming out of the YMCA to a smoker's smog! Who knows, maybe ranting is a good thing if one diver stops smoking because of it ...

Ranting is a good thing, it execrcises the lungs if nothing else.

But seriously, I don't think anyone is saying that smoking doesn't make people less healthy than they would otherwise be, its just that they are easier to identify than some other types of people that could be unhealthy.

BTW although I'm a smoker I sometimes wish the government would ban smoking ( It was quite easy to cut down when I was in SoCal), although I believe banning smoking in bars and pubs is just cruel :)

Conor once bubbled...
BTW although I'm a smoker I sometimes wish the government would ban smoking ( It was quite easy to cut down when I was in SoCal), although I believe banning smoking in bars and pubs is just cruel :)

In B.C. it is illegal to smoke inside in any "public place". This includes bars, pubs and restaurants. Guess what? The revenue and business of these establishments went up after an initial decline. Seems all the non-smokers who were sick of inhaling clouds of crap and tired of having clothes which smell like an old ashtray slowly started returning. Since the ban was placed everywhere, there were no competitive advantages for "the place over the municipality line" which still allowed smoking. This also offset a large growing concern of the non-smoking employees who worked in the restaurant/bar business and had no choice but to inhale second-hand smoke at work. Finally, it helped all those who want to quit but found it nearly impossible to resist when they went out to the pub.

Yes, it does annoyingly make sense. I was joking whn I said it was cruel, cos the hardest time for me not to smoke is while having a pint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom