Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Smokers shouldn't be in the water

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • Don't smoke, Don't care who smokes

Votes: 57 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tinman - I respect your right to choose who to buddy with.

I guess I assume that I am either diving with a buddy who I know well or one I don't know at all, in the latter case you have to be prepared to an extent for 'surprises', if they smoke, then thats just one less surprise.

If it was likely to be a strenuous dive or for that matter involve any level of deco I would consider careful if I thought either of us would be unable to do the dive.

Maybe a more interesting question is how would you know your buddy isn't a smoker thats run out of cigs or a asthmatic who has satisfied the organisers they are ok to dive ?

Diving is a recreation not a vocation
and yes I am a smoker. I know all of the negatives and do plan on stopping when I get my mind set on doing it. I have no problem if someone doesn't want me as a buddy. That is fine as long as they politely refuse I will glady respect their decision.

The only time it has ever been an issue I probably went too far in getting my jabs in. An ex-friend that had been on me to quit smoking insisted on trying to cut me down on a dive boat in front of a crowd about why he wouldn't buddy with me because I smoked and it was a disgusting nasty habit and he'd hate to have to use my reg in an OOA situation. He was ready to fight when I asked him if he had caught anything from the lady he picked up in the bar the previous night. Now you see why we're ex-friends..

DecTek
You made some really good points that are dead on. However, it was my Dr.'s idea to work myself down to half a pack before I quit altogether. Im just about there. By the way...only been doing this for 3 days now. I have it set in my mind that Friday is my last day of smoking.....period.

Strolling down the boardwalk, I passed a man conversing with an unseen stranger....

annie once bubbled...
There's no middle ground here . . .IFor instance, I probably wouldn't bother listening if they tried to give me some advice about something, I do think, rightly or wrongly, that smoking DMs and instructors have less credibility.

I understand what you are saying Annie and you are very much entitled to your opinion, but is judging a dm or instructor that fair to the anyone? Suppose an lady instructor was not capable, and I do personally know of a couple, of carrying around a full size tank and used a smaller one to dive with. Should I look down on her?

At this early point in the poll, it appears that we'd have about 40% fewer divers getting in the way down there if smokers were not allowed to dive.

Also seems about 40% of the folks figure it's a personal choice that's not critical to their diving pursuits.

That leaves about 20% that have a strong anti-smoking point of view. Reading the postings, they are mostly the "anti's".

Once again, the vocal minority (anti-abortion, anti-war, anti-this, anti-that) seems to be steering the agenda?

Smoked between Breaks during class..

She asked him how smoking and diving effected each other he said, "I'll deny it if you ever tell anyone, but I think its better for me because I am use to less air".

We both quit almost a year ago to dive, and both feel 100% better !!!

Hooked4Life once bubbled...
Smoked between Breaks during class..

She asked him how smoking and diving effected each other he said, "I'll deny it if you ever tell anyone, but I think its better for me because I am use to less air".

We both quit almost a year ago to dive, and both feel 100% better !!!
Kinda ironic that your handle is "Hooked4Life"...sorry, I just thought that was funny and had to point it out..

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom