Smelly Air

Have you ever detected any kind of odor from the air in your scuba tank?

• Yes, more than a few times.

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Yes, but rarely.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • No, never.

Votes: 46 56.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There should be no smell or taste to the air/gas.

My buddies and I second guessed ourselves because as stated, it was hot day and we wanted to get in the water quickly, we all breathed off the primary and octo as part of the pre-dive equipment match/check, and all thought it was because our gear had been sitting in the hot sun as we geared up. No of us had ever experienced bad air/gas before that day.

Many great lessons learned that day. When you're rushing, S L O W down. When something seems "off", it probably is so double check and go with your instincts. Great dive buddies do not give you the stink eye when you call a dive. :D

Peter had a weird event at Redondo a month or so ago -- I wrote about it. The gas ended up testing completely clean. We never figured out what he was tasting.

Peter had a weird event at Redondo a month or so ago -- I wrote about it. The gas ended up testing completely clean. We never figured out what he was tasting.

But better to live, and wonder, than blow it off, and later wish and regret?

Yep, twice in Cozumel. Both times on Nitrox mixes. It did not "smell" bad but it tasted odd.

First time I ever dived with Nitrox, it smelled funny. I just assumed that Nitrox somehow smelled different. Until the second dive.

First time I ever dived with Nitrox, it smelled funny. I just assumed that Nitrox somehow smelled different. Until the second dive.

Yep, I agree with you. It was my first experience with Nitrox. I too assumed a difference. :shakehead: The next day the fill was fine but the third day was another "odd" taste. I immediately rejected the tank.

Once.

Definitely smelled oily to me.

Rang the shop and they didn't want to know, claimed no one else had complained.

Took it to another dive shop a long way from my house but they have a very good reputation, he agreed the air was off but not sure what it was contaminated with.

He also knocked out the valve and inspected it for free before filling it for me. That's why he has such a good reputation.

I have had a reg serviced by a goof who soaked it (and the hose) in cleaning solution. the solution got into the hoses. (Not in the tanks)

BTW- Either you smell it pre-dive or there simply is no smelling it with your mask on... remember? You can't smell anything when you close off your nose. So smelling it at depth is kinda' doubtful.

Refrain from being a tight-arse, wad and wrapping regs in newspaper if you sell them via post.

I have had a reg serviced by a goof who soaked it (and the hose) in cleaning solution. the solution got into the hoses. (Not in the tanks)

BTW- Either you smell it pre-dive or there simply is no smelling it with your mask on... remember? You can't smell anything when you close off your nose. So smelling it at depth is kinda' doubtful.

I smelled it when I cleared my mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom