• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

SMB on a Hog rig

Discussion in 'Hogarthian Diving' started by Age, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Divin'Hoosier

Divin'Hoosier Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    They are made by Dive-Xtras. They weren't available for awhile but it looks like they are being sold again. They look slightly new and improved, and therefore more expense, than the version I have. I found this link via google.com. You might want to shop around though and see if you can find them cheaper.

2. Splitlip

Splitlip Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    "split" pants

Attached Files:

3. crpntr133

crpntr133 lost, even with a compass

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Splitlip, are those biker shorts, or swimmer jammers, with a pocket glued on? Been thinking or trying this but never got around to it.

4. Splitlip

Splitlip Great White

EDIT ALERT:

I response to CRP's question I was examing my shorts. Neoprene cement does not do as well on the spandex as it does on wetsuit/neoprene. Plent of companies make 1 mil wetsuit shorts. Use those.
    I will probably stitch these. I Have had no problems as the pockets are holding fine in shear and withdrawal. However, I think I can "peal" them if I try. Unaccpetable.

Got the shorts from a surf shop. Wear them under board shorts. Neoprene, about (less than) 1 mil I guess. I originally was going to try biker shorts, but I had these.

I bought the pockets from Phil Ellis' Divesports.com. They were less than $20.00. I have pockets glued on 2 wetsuits and decided it was getting rediculous when I was looking for another suit.

These I can wear without a wetsuit, with a shorty etc.

I have installed 6 pockets so far and have it down to a science, so if you decide to do it PM me.

Phil has instructions for doing it on his web site, but I like my method better.

EDIT: Just looked at the shorts. These particular ones are spandex and polypropylene.

5. SparticleBrane

SparticleBrane DIR Practitioner

I can honestly say I've never had a problem figuring out by feel which boltsnap attaches to what piece of gear on a d-ring.

Since I don't have a drysuit or x-shorts for my wetsuits, my left-hip d-ring might have 3 pieces of gear attached: SPG, SMB (with spool), and my Sensus Ultra. It's pretty easy to distinguish which is which.

Just arguing the point. :D

6. AbyssalPlains

AbyssalPlains Solo Diver

OK, Please pardon a question from a BP/W newbie and I hope you don't consider this a hijack. I just got my BP/W in the mail last night, so I can't say much as of yet. :D
    But I'm wondering why you couldn't use any of the many little holes in the BP to attach the SMB? I mean, aren't those holes there to attach s**t to them?

7. battles2a5

battles2a5 Divemaster

I wouldn't use those to attach accessories. I use those holes to mount my argon bottle and I have DR lift bag sleeve off the bottom. I think it would be tough to manage clipping/unclipping bolt snaps in those holes because of the angle you would need to get the clip in and out. Besides, the singular purpose of the rear d-ring on a hog harness is to stow gear such as SMB's, spools, reels, etc.

8. Splitlip

Splitlip Great White

you can attach bungee loops or surgical tubing to the holes at the bottom of the plate to retain a marker.

9. rjack321

rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Do you really want all that dangly poo everywhere? 1) its not that accessible on the plate 2) its not very streamlined 3) the holes really aren't that easy to clip unclip stuff from even when they aren't on your back. Pockets are an excellent solution to the storage issue. The rear D-ring is ok although its better for bigger stuff like cameras or reels.

10. Age

Age Divemaster Candidate

Now there's a thought. My Motormarine 111 camera and YS90 strobe create terrific drag. I'll see how it works out dragging them behind me clipped to the butt D ring. I'll find out tomorrow, because I'm flying to the Philippines, Bahol in a few hours. Yipee!:D