Small Potatoes, but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
Hit'em with my driver.

Yes but what if while you did that then someone from a different hole comes over giving the out-of-beer sign and then while you're donating from the long can you get hit on the head with a meteorite while a 1 legged kangaroo drives away in your golf cart? How do DIR golfers plan for that?

catherine96821:
Hey I mentioned triage.

Does AG actually get into triage principles?

Never seen him or any other GUE guy get into it.

Have you had these debates/conversations in DIR training?

Never

I would think in true exploration it would need to come up.

In true exploration on one else is around. That's what makes it "exploration".

TSandM:
It may, but to be honest with you, the likelihood of me being caught in a situation like the one described is so vanishingly low that I am unwilling to spend any mental or emotional effort on preparing for it.
I've come the realization that wherever there's a wreck within recreational depths, there's gonna be a chance that you may run into this desperate situation. The potential is there --however improbable it may be-- and you should never dismiss it: http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2750155&postcount=18

TSandM:
. An example would be somebody caught under a rock fall that their buddy can't move. You would eventually have to swim away, knowing the person behind you is going to die.

So is the next step going to be to bring along a crowbar?

or

a saw to start hacking away at the trapped body part? Sorry for the grotesqueness.

Remember the guy that died at Mamoth cave (non-diving tragedy) when a boulder fell on his leg(s) and trapped him?

Kevrumbo:
Yeah, but in this scenario, you've got your 2-man Team coming across a 4-man Team as in the Spiegel Grove Tragedy, all are combined low or OOG: It's potentially no-win, zero-sum outcome with six fatalities. (Catherine darling, now I'm gonna get Nightmares!:11: ). . .

Theoretically, though, this situation does have a possible successful outcome, though admittedly this is extremely unlikely. In this situation each member of your two-person team could have two OOA divers buddy-breathing off the long hose. It would require immense discipline on the part of the buddy-breathing OOA divers.

And no, I don't believe this could be done single-file. (before someone comments)

What makes it very unlikely is the inconvenient fact if they are OOA in the wreck to start with it may be that the discipline has already broken down enough to preclude this type of rescue. And the idea of buddy-breathing in silted-out dark conditions would tend to make one reply "Yeah, riiight!" when it comes time to give up the regulator for a bit. :11:

Ray

P.S. Let's see...enough air to get you and two OOA divers to the surface. Anyone want to dive rule-of-fourths?

P.P.S. Never mind, I don't recall buddy-breathing being covered in my DIR classes. :no

radinator:
P.P.S. Never mind, I don't recall buddy-breathing being covered in my DIR classes. :no
Is this true of GUE-cave as well?

I had to buddy-breath in both my techwreck and fullcave-class...inside the OE, while retaining contact with the line and neutral bouyancy, maskless to simulate siltout...

Is that really not done in GUE cave/tech-classes:huh:

grazie42:
Is this true of GUE-cave as well?

I had to buddy-breath in both my techwreck and fullcave-class...inside the OE, while retaining contact with the line and neutral bouyancy, maskless to simulate siltout...

Is that really not done in GUE cave/tech-classes:huh:
Do you mean buddy breathing (both divers alternately breathing from the same second stage) or sharing air (both divers breathing from the same gas supply through separate second stages)?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I meant buddy breathing...two divers sharing the same regulator...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom