Small Potatoes, but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey I mentioned triage.

Does AG actually get into triage principles? Have you had these debates/conversations in DIR training? I would think in true exploration it would need to come up.

Kevrumbo:
Yeah, but in this scenario, you've got your 2-man Team coming across a 4-man Team as in the Spiegel Grove Tragedy, all are combined low or OOG: It's potentially no-win, zero-sum outcome with six fatalities. (Catherine darling, now I'm gonna get Nightmares!:11: ). . .

When you come across the first silt-out from all the flutter kicking, its probably time to turn the dive...

It's a Kobayashi Maru Scenario (for all you Techie Trekkies out there:D ); an instance in my wreck training that comes to mind is the Right Post Failure with a teammate coming up to you signaling OOG in a two-man team: what do you do??

Answer is you Buddy-Breathe and do the best you can on egress from the Wreck (which is why it's better to have a three-man team vs. a two-man in overheads).

But could you do it with a 2-man Team supplying a 4-man Team in a Spiegel Grove Scenario? Or OTOH, how do you really make a choice who lives and who dies? Will that diver willingly accept that fate?

My husband and I have talked about this kind of thing, more in terms of being in a cave. At some point, you will have to make a decision that not everybody involved in a disastrous situation can live through it. An example would be somebody caught under a rock fall that their buddy can't move. You would eventually have to swim away, knowing the person behind you is going to die. I don't want that to happen to me, and I can't imagine what my state of mind would be if it did. It might very well make me quit diving altogether. But it does not improve the outcome if both people involved die.

This reminds me a little of the questions people periodically pose where they posit that you've had two or three major failures at once. You simply can't plan for those situations. You can only do EVERYTHING you can to keep them from happening.

In the situation of a two-man team encountering a four-man group desperately low on air when the two-man team is AT thirds, there is no viable solution that gets all six people out of the cave/wreck. It would simply be terrifying -- You could get two out; how do you identify and separate the two you are going to save? I don't think there's any point in trying to plan for it ahead of time, because when you got there, nothing would be as you planned it, anyway.

It's a mental exercise in hopelessness, and not very useful.

I think I'm going to take up golf. This diving stuff is scary.

TSandM:
It's a mental exercise in hopelessness, and not very useful.
Nicely said.

I think there is some evidence out there (combat studies on PTSD) that discussing even the most hopeless situations and the inevitable choices that must be made before they happen, facilitates grief resolution after a trajic event.

It may, but to be honest with you, the likelihood of me being caught in a situation like the one described is so vanishingly low that I am unwilling to spend any mental or emotional effort on preparing for it.

JeffG:
I think I'm going to take up golf. This diving stuff is scary.
What! You'd trust your safety to a bunch of strangers armed with golf clubs ... :confused:

What if one of them decides to mug you for your putter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
What! You'd trust your safety to a bunch of strangers armed with golf clubs ... :confused:

What if one of them decides to mug you for your putter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Hit'em with my driver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom