Small Potatoes, but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you still refuse airshare it is likely they will knife you.

okay...so mugging is unlikely but it's likely that I could be stabbed for my air?

Quite a range of perspectives here. I think I have answered my own question.

Sounds like you have it all figured out...I sure don't have this scenario satisfactory yet so I was intersted in the DIR perspective for this issue. Part of the fun is getting good at guessing what the possible/likely pitfalls are, outside the box. Unknown divers penetrating behind me is a real concern that I have.

Well, all I can offer you is the Puget Sound perspective which is that the wrecks up here are deep, cold, low viz and high current enough and require enough technical training and cash that there just doesn't tend to be a crowd on them.

There are popular recreational dive sites here where the possibility of someone not part of your team coming up to you and mugging you is certainly there. I do believe that every diver around here, not just DIR or technical ones, should be able to deal with a diver mugging them for their reg and knocking their mask off at depth -- which is why I like the long hose config, why I carry a backup mask, and why I like a larger gas reserve for the worst-case where a diver in panic is also breathing off my tank while I'm getting my backup mask on.

I expect the DIR answer is to not penetrate wrecks if there's a pile of unknown recreational divers on the site at the same time. Its just like showing up and finding the currents are running at 4 knots and you need to excersize option #1, or you need to adjust the dive plan to mitigate the chances of that occuring...

I'm asking in DIR, because I want to know the DIR answer.

Rule 1 pretty much covers it.

You're keep asking "well what if this" or "what if that" or "what if", "what if", "what if". And all the Fundies grads keep trying to answer each permutation, but the real answer is that a DIR diver sees this crap happening before hand and turns the dive at the dock.

lamont:
Well, all I can offer you is the Puget Sound perspective which is that the wrecks up here are deep, cold, low viz and high current enough and require enough technical training and cash that there just doesn't tend to be a crowd on them.

There are popular recreational dive sites here where the possibility of someone not part of your team coming up to you and mugging you is certainly there. I do believe that every diver around here, not just DIR or technical ones, should be able to deal with a diver mugging them for their reg and knocking their mask off at depth -- which is why I like the long hose config, why I carry a backup mask, and why I like a larger gas reserve for the worst-case where a diver in panic is also breathing off my tank while I'm getting my backup mask on.

I expect the DIR answer is to not penetrate wrecks if there's a pile of unknown recreational divers on the site at the same time. Its just like showing up and finding the currents are running at 4 knots and you need to excersize option #1, or you need to adjust the dive plan to mitigate the chances of that occuring...

oh...good answer, I liked that one.

the real answer is that a DIR diver sees this crap happening before hand and turns the dive at the dock.

oh..

the real answer is that a DIR diver sees this crap happening before hand and turns the dive at the dock.

oh..

Just of bit of GIII for you. It's simple, to the point, and very, very clear. The way DIR is meant to be.

lamont:
the yellow bungee sounds like a hawaii DIR thing...

What!!!! I'm hurt.:( 1st East vs. West now Hawaii??

In all seriousness, my back-up had a yellow face plate for a long time (while I was even in San Diego.) When I took DIR-f nothing was said about colors and my instructor was not shy about telling you what to fix. I really think its a non-issue.:coffee:

catherine96821:
......Because if you came here and dived the Sea Tiger and went to the engine room or the Fish Holds (127 at the sand)...good ol' Al 80 divers could be joining you, cattle boat or kayak. And often there is one way out and it is a very tight squeeze. (especially for you in doubles)....

.....Unknown divers penetrating behind me is a real concern that I have.

It is my impression that you are doing penetration dives at 120 feet without any redundant air supply. I would be worried about a lot of other types of mishaps before losing sleep over some guy from a kayak killing me in the wreck.

Well, he sounded like it was unusual to dive a wreck where others were likely to enter.....and I was trying to say that has not been my experience.

I don't lose any sleep over much, but I asked the question about if DIR explorers addressed OOA paniced divers that became impossible to control. It seems I am hearing a lot of that "doesn't happen, cause, Rule Number One, etc etc." and "we turn the dive at the dock". So I guess that answers my question unless it ever happens.

Yes, I dive the Sea Tiger without redundant air and so do many, many divers far less experienced than me, every single day. I did not ask that question though.

Do you think rule number one breeds denial?

Because I imagine any style diver could panic given the right circumstances, and my question was, is there something integral to DIR training that addresses that, should it happen? A discussion about when you, a DIR diver would cut another loose, DIR, Non-DIR, team member, stranger, those scenarios.

But I think Lamont only has answered directly and simply.

I heard him say

1)be mentally/physically prepared, it could happen

2) render aid prepared for the worst

3) choose yourself if it comes right down to it

The details painted a pretty clear picture of what he meant.

catherine96821:
Well, he sounded like it was unusual to dive a wreck where others were likely to enter.....and I was trying to say that has not been my experience.

I don't lose any sleep over much, but I asked the question about if DIR explorers addressed OOA paniced divers that became impossible to control. It seems I am hearing a lot of that "doesn't happen, cause, Rule Number One, etc etc." and "we turn the dive at the dock". So I guess that answers my question unless it ever happens.

Yes, I dive the Sea Tiger without redundant air and so do many, many divers far less experienced than me, every single day. I did not ask that question though.

Do you think rule number one breeds denial?
No, usually your only looking at the team you start with and if there are other divers around that would follow you don't do the dive.

Because I imagine any style diver could panic given the right circumstances, and my question was, is there something integral to DIR training that addresses that, should it happen? A discussion about when you, a DIR diver would cut another loose, DIR, Non-DIR, team member, stranger, those scenarios.

But I think Lamont only has answered directly and simply.

I heard him say

1)be mentally/physically prepared, it could happen

2) render aid prepared for the worst

3) choose yourself if it comes right down to it

The details painted a pretty clear picture of what he meant.

Yep, I agree with Lamont. If I were in an area were an unknown diver or one not with the group needed help he would get it, if I can give it. OOG drills are practiced so often they become second nature. If you (general sense of the word) reach in on me and don't go for the one in my mouth, I'm still going to hand you that one because your not going to get my back-up unless you put your head on my chest. Honestly though if you look at me funny I will more than likely hand you my reg.

Dang, I just looked and I have my yellow back-up in my profile pic.:11:

It was asked:
dumpsterDiver:
It is my impression that you are doing penetration dives at 120 feet without any redundant air supply. I would be worried about a lot of other types of mishaps before losing sleep over some guy from a kayak killing me in the wreck.

To which you replied:
catherine96821:
If your reg is mugged you go to your back-up and problem averted.

If you blow a burst disc you are going to loose all your gas and there is absolutely nothing you can do but go mug someone else's reg. Is that irony or what?

You need to address the biggest issue, and that is your lack of redundancy in an overhead. Let's see, you are in an overhead on a single tank, close to 130ft deep, probably on air or nitrox (no helium). Not the best odds if something does go wrong.

Just because a lot of people do it doesn't make it safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom