small almost transparent fish - Coz shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I can't ID this guy yet. He is less than an inch, was near a dead conch shell at about 20 feet in Cozumel near shore at night.

reallysmalfish.jpg

Close up
very-small-fish.jpg

Any ideas?
I thought maybe a juvenile conchfish??

Juvies are tough, but I do believe you do indeed have the cardinalfish known as the (surprise!) Conchfish there :) Astrapogon stellatus
The freckles are pretty distinctive...
Rick

You have it! This one's also a cardinalfish family member known as a conchfish. Besides its location (it lives with Queen Conch), the spots are its distinguishing characteristic. This is an adult.

Juvies are tough, but I do believe you do indeed have the cardinalfish known as the (surprise!) Conchfish there :) Astrapogon stellatus
The freckles are pretty distinctive...
Rick

You have it! This one's also a cardinalfish family member known as a conchfish. Besides its location (it lives with Queen Conch), the spots are its distinguishing characteristic. This is an adult.

Thanks.. I wasn't sure as the "Reef Fish ID" pictures of the Conchfish (same photo as Humann - Deloach) didn't really look like this one.
Maybe that Conch was alive.. I just assumed it was dead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom