Sling-Shot or Sling not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have several different pairs of fins. My (used-to-be) favorites were my TUSA Xpert-Zooms (split fins) I also have the Blades and the Blades Flex. I've had a few knee surgeries and stiff blades cause swelling and pain in that knee, but I haven't had that problem with the split-fins.

I've been really putting a lot of thought into the fact that some government agencies are not allowing their drysuit divers to use split-fins. As an Instructor, if I need to tow someone I want to be able to without any problems from my fins. So I decided to try the Sling-Shots.

I've heard many different things from people that love/hate them. One of the same things I've heard from almost all is that they feel "different". Some of my peers that love them have suggested that I do at least 10 dives with them before making any judgments.

Well the first time I used them in the pool I liked them. I had the bands set on the lightest setting. Felt alot like my split-fins but with more 'snap' which gave them a different feeling. It is like the bands cause them to snap back a little. I like that as it aids in the kick.

The second time I used them in the pool, I changed the bands to the 2nd setting. A little more stiff but no knee problems. Definitely stiffer here than my split-fins. I think I like this setting the best.

Now off to the ocean. I really like these! Fluttered down one side of the reef no problem, frog kicked back without any problems too. Surface swim out to the reef...easy. These definitely feel like they give me more thrust and speed. And look Mom, no knee issues!

I've now done a couple of ocean dives with them and am getting used to the blades being a little stiffer. Still haven't had any knee pain or swelling.

These are going to be the fins that I grab first in the future.

When I first saw them I thought they were a gadget fin, but after borrowing them from associates for a few dives I am actually impressed. I have never got cramps using my Quattro's but I have some knee issues that do arise. Didn't have any knee issues afterwards like Ann Marie. Kind of nice. I have also had a student claim they were a lot easier on his calves and knees.
This may be the me but I have yet to be able to back up in them. That's the only negative I personally have. If I can fix the transmission on these to get them into reverse I'm there.

I have been looking for a new pair of fins. I think im most definitely going to get these. After reading many different websites about these fins, Im starting to think this is the coolest thing in the world.
:coffee:

i trid these on in eilat once.
they are strong, propulsive, feel better than the usual paddle blades i dive with but man are they ugly...
they dont fit my style of diving that much and they dont feel natural...

I own a pair of slingshots and I like them. Because of the variable resistance, they are especially useful for divers leg or ankle problems. For example, a diver with a bum knee can set a stiffer resistance for the good leg and a lighter resistance for the leg with problems.

As I said, I like these fins, but for me they don't compare to the APS Mantaray fins --easily my favorites.

Jeff

the aps main problem is the slightly positive buoyancy....other than that its a perfectly fine travel fin...

My dad had them, tried them and went back to his TwinJets......I wanna try them though. I have strong leg muscles, and based on what I've read here I could probably cruise in them lol

strong legs will help you benefit from every fin :)
my leg power (as a track athlete) helped me with every step of the way: whether its unassisted freediving, or being fully geared and facing a current with ****ty rental fins.
its the diver that makes the equipment work, not the other way around (even though it does come in handy :wink: ).
from experience, the slingshots will make the powerful diver feel even more powerful, and the weak diver feel stronger.
i myself hated their design (too gadgety: it looks like a car-part...fins should be natural).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom