Sling-Shot or Sling not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the aps main problem is the slightly positive buoyancy....other than that its a perfectly fine travel fin...

You find them a little positive? I have the black ones and I think they are just about dead neutral, if anything they feel very slightly negative. Of course, my legs are negative, so I may not be as sensitive to that as divers who need ankle weights.

I use mine for everything now, including with doubles and technical dives.

Not to hijack this thread, because sling-shots are excellent fins, too, but here is a review of the APS Mantaray fins I wrote:AtomicPirate WE COME FOR THE BOOTY

Jeff

great fin, just got mine and loving it. has anyone used these in a wreck or on a silty bottom? the only concern I've got is that they will stir things up more than my blade II's

I've tried them on a reasonably silty/sandy bottom and they didn't kick-up a thing while swimming a around a foot above the bottom using a frog-kick on setting 1.

I've had one try on a reasonably silty wreck and they did kick-up quite a bit of a mess, but that was my fault on that occasion and any fins would have done something similar (coming up through a smaller opening against a down-current - won't do it again!).

The best bit for me is how maneuverable the sling-shot fins are, you can turn quickly back on yourself with minimal effort, even in strong shifting currents.

They do look a little like they had someone from Nike design the fin appearance, but they work really well for me :)

Karl

Not.

N

wat gear would u guys reccomend for a rookie diver, i mean in the way of fins, masks, snorkels, wetsuits and boots?

wat gear would u guys reccomend for a rookie diver, i mean in the way of fins, masks, snorkels, wetsuits and boots?

I would use:

Mask: Tusa Platina
Fins: Mares Quatro
Wetsuit: Bare Velocity
Boots: Mares Trilastic 5mm
Snorkel: the first one who looks cool

Just pick up whatever you can find that's cheapest and fits you reasonably well - you'll end up replacing it all shortly anyway!!!

All kidding aside, if you haven't rented gear first I would start there. There's a lot of variability and personal preference that goes into buying dive gear. The biggest mistake I made was buying everything up front. Sure - you need a mask/wetsuit/etc etc that's your own, the rest I'd make sure to spend some time trying out. There's a few hundred threads on SB for selecting gear.

I have a set of SlingShots --I like them and, as an instructor, I think they have great value for divers with one weak or injured leg. I have had students who had a bum knee or hip and being able vary the resistance between fins was great for them.

My SlingShots now hang on a wall in my barn with a half dozen other sets of fins since I discovered the APS Mantaray fins, which are the best fins I have used. They are light, cut my air consumption, and have all the power I need to push a set of doubles or a rebreather through the water while handling my camera setup.

Just my two cents.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom