SKIP BREATHING is this nonsense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a good rule Skip the Skip breathing.
Not only is it dangerous but as soon as you have more than a few dives under your belt, you will also figure out why this is not a idea.

Isnt the 1000+ in his profile.......more than a few?

As usual - I believe TSandM is correct.

most of the comments people make on skip breathing tend to be "what they read" or "heard" - not science based answers.

But nobody has been able to properly define Skip Breathing and I doubt anybody will ever be able to simply because everyone's physiology is different. What may be one individual's normal breathing rhythm may be either hyperventilation or the opposite to another diver.

I believe the idea is that, if you are intentionally holding your breath, then you are skip-breathing. If you're just breathing slow and that's your physiology, it's fine. Thus I try to "work" as little as possible during my dives so I am not forced to breathe heavily.

Peace,
Greg

At what point does slow, relaxed breathing become skip breathing?

That's an easy one: When it requires 6 minutes of deco on pure oxygen at 20 feet to get your head to stop pounding.

That's an easy one: When it requires 6 minutes of deco on pure oxygen at 20 feet to get your head to stop pounding.
:rofl3: Is there any scuba-related knowledge that you haven't acquired the hard way?

But nobody has been able to properly define Skip Breathing and I doubt anybody will ever be able to simply because everyone's physiology is different. What may be one individual's normal breathing rhythm may be either hyperventilation or the opposite to another diver.

I believe the idea is that, if you are intentionally holding your breath, then you are skip-breathing. If you're just breathing slow and that's your physiology, it's fine. Thus I try to "work" as little as possible during my dives so I am not forced to breathe heavily.

Peace,
Greg

Skip breathing was described to me long ago when most divers didn't know any better,
as taking a breath and holding as long as you can before exhaling. It is a dangerous and self defeating practice. It was thought up by someone long ago when diving was young and air stations were rare as a way to extend bottom time, it did, permanently for some. There is no good reason to do it.

Get a larger tank.

before this gets out of hand, I caution you guys to think about your posts before you post them. People are going to read this stuff and possibly try it.

That's their choice - its a free world.

Skip breathing is usually incomplete breathing and holding the in breathe and out breath longer than naturally. Its a great way to build up CO2 so a great way to get a really bad headache, narcosis, increased risk to O2 toxicity and decompression sickness.

Thanks for the replies I always thought SKIP BREATHING was HOGWASH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :no:

It’s not hog wash, it will extend your air time somewhat at shallow depths with the caveat of higher CO2 buildup and all the things that can come from that. The technique started and was used in the 50’s through the 70’s, mostly in the military, when all there had were steel 72’s. If you had a mission that needed a few for minutes to complete, or you were in a situation where surfacing might lead to death – say beach clearing on a hostile beach were there were bad guys with machine guns etc. – it was a way of staying down longer.

But today, there is no reason for anyone, especially in recreational diving, to skip breath, it is not needed, as one poster stated – get a bigger tank.

Get [-]a larger[/-] smaller tanks.

Much better. :)

megalodon-tanks.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom