SKIP BREATHING is this nonsense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

porgyhunter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It only makes sense that working hard underwater means breathing hard. How can one skip a breath. Does this mean, take a breath, expell it, wait 1 2 3 take another. etc. Sorry I don't see it. You will eventually need more air,thus breathing faster. Only thing I found to slow air consumption is to reduce physical activeity. :idk:

before this gets out of hand, I caution you guys to think about your posts before you post them. People are going to read this stuff and possibly try it.

from a old diver,,,

slow down and enjoy it! normal breath is the best,,

have a good day and remember all you were taught in class,,

:usa:

Beware, skip breathing is a very good way to take a CO2 hit and get a killer headache.

Building up CO2 is a good way to increase your risk of oxygen toxicity and DCS. Assuming your dives put you at risk for that you would be ill advised to do it. It is simply better to get comfortable through good buoyancy, good thermal protection, slowing down and maybe a scooter than to skip breath.

To my understanding skip breathing is not so much slow controlled breathing as it is trying to hold your breath to reduce your air consumption. Sometimes this is intentional and sometimes it occurs because the new diver is fixated on task loading and simply holds their breath too long. I suffered this in the beginning with the main manifestation of a huge headache after the dive.
Slow controlled breathing with a natural rhythm is good as it has a calming effect on the diver but extending the breath interval artificially creates a CO2 buildup by not allowing natural offgassing to occur. A diver can operate without noticing the reduced O2 ongassing while at the same time incurring CO2 buildup.
One is not the other.

OP, you are right. If you try to artificially slow your breathing, you'll retain carbon dioxide and feel even more air hunger, and probably end up breathing more.

The exception is that there are people who have been documented to tolerate elevated CO2 levels when diving, without feeling an increased drive to breathe. These people are able to skip breathe, which is usually done by holding a long pause at end inhalation and exhalation. It does reduce gas consumption. It also leads to increased narcosis and headaches, and may well have played a role in several deaths, including one featured in one of the books about the Doria.

Skip breathing is a foolish way to try to extend one's tank.

At what point does slow, relaxed breathing become skip breathing?

Here's a good rule Skip the Skip breathing.
Not only is it dangerous but as soon as you have more than a few dives under your belt, you will also figure out why this is not a idea.

Back
Top Bottom