Skills For Carrying And Using A Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She? Oh boy 2airishuman, you made an even worse assumption than markm! :wink: That's okay, I don't expect people to be familiar with Greek men's names (or eastern European ones as well).
(Emphasis added markm)

Hi Kosta,

I made no assumptions about you. I tried giving my opinion about a topic raised on this thread. You don't like my opinion; therefore, it may be personal. I am not the one making assumptions.

I am sorry for you that 2airishuman made an error. After all, to error is human!

Also, I have never considered females to be a lower form of life (the way I am reading your statement, you believe they are...am I making an assumption, or is there an inference in what you wrote?)

markm

Please, gird your loins, as this is not a criticism, personal or otherwise!

Here again, we are different. I would not dive with anyone. I dive for pleasure. I don't gain pleasure from babysitting a dependent or inexperienced diver. I will leave that to DMs and instructors. That is one of the main reasons I got a Solo/Self-Reliant/Independent cert.
Loins are girded! That advice I will take from you! :wink:

Yes, I completely understand that you do not wish to help divers with lesser skills. Most non-professional divers have the same viewpoint, though fortunately for me, some of my dive buddies in the past didn't, and that made a huge difference in my skills as a diver. Diving is my passion, which is why I'm looking at an early "retirement" in the dive industry as a course director/tec deep instructor (and diesel boat engine mechanic and compressor technician - got to have a number of valuable skills to be marketable). My passion is for my own enjoyment but also to help others be able to enjoy the same experiences that I have. My goals for this year include becoming a HSA and next year an IAHD instructor. It isn't about the money, but impacting people's lives in very positive manner.

(Emphasis added markm)

Hi Kosta,

I made no assumptions about you. I tried giving my opinion about a topic raised on this thread. You don't like my opinion; therefore, it may be personal. I am not the one making assumptions.

I am sorry for you that 2airishuman made an error. After all, to error is human!

Also, I have never considered females to be a lower form of life (the way I am reading your statement, you believe they are...am I making an assumption, or is there an inference in what you wrote?)

markm
Okay Mark, now you make more assumptions. This isn't funny. I'm done with you. Ignored (so I won't see your replies).

The problems are over expansion injuries. It's hard to stop a student's upward ascent immediately if they're not breathing out. Every time that reg comes out, they have to remember to breathe out. A brief distraction is all it takes to evoke an injury. So, every time the reg comes out the instructor has to make sure that the bubbles are slowing. Ascending, that means I have to stop a bit on almost every exchange. I don't have to worry about such an injury when going sideways.

Forgive me for not having personal experience with this skill, but wouldn't it be prudent and obvious, during an ascent, to avoid taking a deep, lung-filling breath before passing off the reg?

The reg can take quite a while to come back (or so it feels)... Therefore, "many" people will want to take a huge breath.

As for the last few posts about "if you have it open, you don't know how to handle a valve and are a turd" (which is basically what was written), that's probably the biggest bs ever. Any "tec" diver should notice the difference between an emergency supply and a deco tank..
If you plan opening your deco tank(s) in a emergency with just a grab and go motion, you're doing it wrong, and that points to a failure in your training imnho...

Forgive me for not having personal experience with this skill,
2 phreakin phunni! It's OK. I wasn't taught to buddy breathe in my OW class either. I noticed the calming down when I had to do it for my Dive Master Gear Exchange. I had one student that just couldn't get over her anxiety. On her seventh OW session, I experimented with buddy breathing while sitting on the bottom (my kneeling days). Wow. It really got her in a rhythm and she lost her anxiety. We bddy breathed three times and swam a bit, but not far. After that, I started using this exercise more and more often. Now, most of my students buddy breathe when it's the next logical step in their training. Class gets easy after that.

The skill goes like this... The donor holds the hose right by the reg in their fist. The receiver holds the donor's wrist tightly. Tightly like they don't want to lose their source of breathing tightly. I take two breaths and pass it off. I pass it off after I finish my second inhalation, so I'm exhaling, albeit slowly, while the other diver is taking their two breaths. Breathe in, exhale, breathe in, PUSH the reg away, and continue to exhale slowly. I would like enough air left to just clear the reg when my partner pushes the reg back to me immediately after their second inhalation. It's all about timing and confidence. The exercise helps the student to get a cadence to their breathing and calms them down considerably. A caveat: at the beginning of the exercise, before they get their timing down, I usually only take one breath and quite often they take more than two. I've patiently waited through five breaths on occasion, but I have my limits. As the student gets the hang and their timing down, I'll start taking two breaths. If they really got their act together, I might go for three and one time I took four. :D :D :D I quickly back down how many times I breathe if they get excited. I want to gently stress them and not freak them out.

You see, @2airishuman ? You push the reg away when you've inhaled the second time. Your lungs will be full. There ain't no way around it.

If you're reading this June, yes, it's about you! :D

Last edited:
Sorry, was off doing the stuff I get paid for.... if the recipient is holding that tightly to your forearm, you end up having to move them a little to get the reg out of your mouth, right?

So, I've had friends in the hospital at times and they always give out these disposable things to anyone in the hospital that measure the approximate volume of inspiration. They use it to encourage patients to take deep breaths. Anyway, I get bored and breath from them, and I know from that experience that a typical full breath for me is less than half my ultimate lung capacity without packing or pressurizing my lungs in any way. Maybe my physiology is unusual but I doubt it. So, yes, I know the risk of overexpansion is real and I don't in any way want to trivialize it, but I'm still a little puzzled at its prevalence.

Last edited:
if the recipient is holding that tightly to your forearm, you end up having to move them a little to get the reg out of your mouth, right?
Think of it as a feedback system. Say you've taken the final breath of the series. Normally, we pause briefly after we take a breath before we start to exhale, but your buddy is hanging on the vine waiting patiently for their turn. Only you know when you've finished inhaling so they may not have a clue it's their turn and they can only wait so long.:D Spitting out the reg and pushing gently away from you signals to them that they can pull the reg to their mouth now without you accidentally inspiring water. Don't try to help them put the reg in their mouth either. Just a gentle push away and then let your arm follow their lead. Keep a firm grip on the hose or the wrist, but let the other muscles relax. They won't need your assistance getting the reg in their mouth. This will avoid you accidentally punching your buddy in the nose and such. It won't stop you from punching them if they forget to share though! :D :D :D
but I'm still a little puzzled at its prevalence.
It's a mammalian reflex to hold your breath when under the water. Our brains don't have Boyle's Law hard wired into them. We have to consciously decide to exhale under the water and I'm sure swimming coaches bemoan this from time to time. I teach my students that BOYLES is actually an acronym for Breathe Or Your Lungs Explode, Stupid! Subtle humor often gets the point across that science can't.

BOYLES is actually an acronym for Breathe Or Your Lungs Explode, Stupid! Subtle humor often gets the point across that science can't.

I'm stealing that!

Back
Top Bottom