Skills For Carrying And Using A Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll add that to the list. So far, I have:
Probably the biggest reason is was dropped was that people were actually getting hurt on ascent during training. Most agencies allow the instructor to teach it, but they have to remain at the same depth. Students do this skill in my OW and Buoyancy, Trim & Propulsion classes. I find it to be a watershed event (confidence builder), especially for those who appear to be nervous in the water. We swim at least 25 yds buddy breathing at the same depth.

Two or three years ago, My NAUI MSD had skills based components including Buddy Breathing and BCD Breathing, both on ascent.... It was 1988 when I learned it in a YMCA Scuba Diver certification.

Mark,

You make assumptions that opening and closing valves in not second nature. You make assumptions about me now knowing about Tec 40, as I'm in the process of becoming an instructor for that course. Please do not be so provocative by using word like "fear". I know that this is ScubaBoard, and people get into all sorts of arguments, slinging insults back and forth. I'm trying to choose my words to not be snarky, as how I respond reflects as me as a person and an instructor. Hopefully I live up to that.

I chose this way recreationally after taking a PADI deep course with an instructor who is also a GUE instructor.

Now when it comes to tec diving, yes, you pressurize your valves on your stage/deco bottles. If you are diving recreationally with a pony bottle (yes I know you can take Tec 40 with a pony bottle), have your gear properly serviced, the risk of it leaking is so incredibly small. Remember you were trained to do bubble checks, right? Which I which recreational divers should be trained to do.

Now if you are diving doubles, or sidemount, do you have a backmounted pony bottle? No.

So keep things in perspective on what sort of diving we are talking about.

Kosta

Hi Kosta,

I apologize for failing to get my point across. Sometimes people take personal offense at what I write and it is usually because I am a little to blunt and trying to be succinct.

As I tried to point out in my previous post regarding some posters who opined that they wanted a charged pony bottle second stage ready to go in case they tried to inhale and found themselves sucking on a failed primary regulating system (like trying to suck on a concrete wall), that their pony system would be ready to go without having to fumble for the pony valve.

Again, my point is about a personal decision to train oneself to manipulate the pony valve with muscle memory and subconscious action. A little personal training goes along way. Having gone through a personal and formal training regimen of manipulating deco and pony bottles, I think nothing of having valves closed u/w while diving. I have conditioned myself for this.

Furthermore, now that I have conditioned myself for having closed pony and deco valves, I run very little chance that a free flow or blown o-ring will immediately leave me completely out of breathing gas while u/w while suffering a primary breathing system failure. If you don't know your pony is leaking, you don't know it is empty. I may only a few minutes to save myself with a blown o-ring or free flowing second stage on my pony, but that is better than the alternatives. More time u/w with breathing gas can saves lives.

I am not trying to attack anyone on this thread personally, but I do feel passionately, for me anyways, that pony and deco valves must remain closed unless I need them.

Viva la differonce (my French needs some work, sorry)!

I would gladly buddy-up with you for at least one dive. You sound experienced and well trained. And after personally assessing your u/w skills, I would probably dive with you, closed pony bottles or not, anytime (if you would have me as your buddy)!

markm

If you fear having the valve closed on your pony, start training yourself. Condition yourself to having closed pony bottle valves and before you know it, opening a pony will become second nature.

Mark,

I agree that the best way to carry a pony is slung, charged, and valve closed. It minimizes the chances of an unrecognized loss of gas. It minimizes the chances of a regulator mixup. Unlike carrying valve-open, there is no possibility of an unexpectedly closed pony valve exacerbating an emergency situation.

I don't believe it's the only safe way. In particular, I would hold up DumpsterDiver's configuration -- pony attached to primary cylinder, secondary pony reg under chin, valve open -- as being another safe configuration. Depending on the details of the configuration and the physiology of the individual diver, it may not be possible to reach the valve quickly in an emergency, so it must be left open. The benefit is that the pony cylinder is out of the way where it will not interfere with spearfishing, photography, etc.

Kosta's configuration is similar with the main difference being that he keeps the reg attached to the pony cylinder until needed, if I understand correctly. I would be concerned about the possibility of freeflow in this configuration particularly in strong current or if the purge button on the pony reg were bumped at some point during the dive. Perhaps Kosta can comment on what he does to avoid this.

It is my understanding that no agency teaches that a particular pony cylinder configuration is correct, to the exclusion of others, for non-overhead, non-deco dives.

Last edited:
Probably the biggest reason is was dropped was that people were actually getting hurt on ascent during training. Most agencies allow the instructor to teach it, but they have to remain at the same depth. Students do this skill in my OW and Buoyancy, Trim & Propulsion classes. I find it to be a watershed event (confidence builder), especially for those who appear to be nervous in the water. We swim at least 25 yds buddy breathing at the same depth.

Heh. Another reason to add to the list, though it's certainly a plausible one. I can appreciate the difficulty of maintaining control of the ascent rate while buddy breathing.

Kosta's configuration is similar with the main difference being that she keeps the reg attached to the pony cylinder until needed, if I understand correctly. I would be concerned about the possibility of freeflow in this configuration particularly in strong current or if the purge button on the pony reg were bumped at some point during the dive. Perhaps Kosta can comment on what she does to avoid this.

She? Oh boy 2airishuman, you made an even worse assumption than markm! :wink: That's okay, I don't expect people to be familiar with Greek men's names (or eastern European ones as well).

Kosta's configuration is similar with the main difference being that HE keeps the reg attached to the pony cylinder until needed, if I understand correctly. I would be concerned about the possibility of freeflow in this configuration particularly in strong current or if the purge button on the pony reg were bumped at some point during the dive. Perhaps Kosta can comment on what HE does to avoid this.

I keep the 2nd stage by the valve so it is out of the way. I often (though I'm downsizing) shooting a large camera, so I want as little stuff in my way visually. Because I can quickly reach back down and back and grab the 2nd stage, rip it out of the elastic bands that hold it in place, and put it in my mouth, I do so. Is it safer to have my pony's 2nd stage on a bungee around my neck? Yes, absolutely, as it does save time. But it comes down to risk assessment. So I take a middle ground. As I stated, I try to have a good view of my kit and a reg bungeed around my neck cuts into that. Having it bumped is not something I would consider at all, unless I'm penetrating a wreck that isn't an artificial reef. In that scenario, I'm diving sidemount.

I have dove this way a number of times in high current situations, from Deception Pass to the Tacoma Narrows (that was better than any rollercoaster I have been on - I bought a mask with a GoPro mount for when I do it again - you have to keep your hands free). I don't feel that even those currents were even remotely close enough to sufficiently press the purge button (which if it did, I'd know about it instantly). That would be the same issue with my alternate air source, wouldn't it?

I would argue actually in those high current situations, like the Tacoma Narrows, you are breathing so hard, that I don't want to spend the time opening up the valve as I will need that air. Now, have I been in such a situation where my primary tank regulator failed and I was out of air? No. So I don't have personal experience with how long I would have or where I would notice, as the Narrows was something else. So I'd prefer to be breathing those extra seconds where I'd be opening up my pony bottle. It isn't a matter of training, but simply preferences, as I also prefer to not have the pony's second stage bungeed around my neck, which does cost me time.

I apologize for failing to get my point across. Sometimes people take personal offense at what I write and it is usually because I am a little to blunt and trying to be succinct.
Accepted. I respect you for saying that.

As I tried to point out in my previous post regarding some posters who opined that they wanted a charged pony bottle second stage ready to go in case they tried to inhale and found themselves sucking on a failed primary regulating system (like trying to suck on a concrete wall), that their pony system would be ready to go without having to fumble for the pony valve.
I understand, but I find this so incredibly unlikely. Again, I keep the pony's second stage right next to the valve. If one is easy to reach, so is the other.

Again, my point is about a personal decision to train oneself to manipulate the pony valve with muscle memory and subconscious action. A little personal training goes along way. Having gone through a personal and formal training regimen of manipulating deco and pony bottles, I think nothing of having valves closed u/w while diving. I have conditioned myself for this.
Is personal and formal training better than personal and formal training? TEASING!!! :p

Furthermore, now that I have conditioned myself for having closed pony and deco valves, I run very little chance that a free flow or blown o-ring will immediately leave me completely out of breathing gas while u/w while suffering a primary breathing system failure. If you don't know your pony is leaking, you don't know it is empty. I may only a few minutes to save myself with a blown o-ring or free flowing second stage on my pony, but that is better than the alternatives. More time u/w with breathing gas can saves lives.
The likelihood of two free flow events (your primary tank and pony) are again, extremely rare. Properly maintained equipment almost eliminates it. Though it can happen. Of all the divers I know, including instructors, I've heard of exactly one case on a primary tanks regulator, but never a pony. But there are millions of divers out there, and the ones I know are not enough in number to be representative (that I do remember from my statistics class).

I am not trying to attack anyone on this thread personally, but I do feel passionately, for me anyways, that pony and deco valves must remain closed unless I need them.
That is obvious, and not a bad thing, but perspective must be maintained.

I would gladly buddy-up with you for at least one dive. You sound experienced and well trained. And after personally assessing your u/w skills, I would probably dive with you, closed pony bottles or not, anytime (if you would have me as your buddy)!
This made me laugh. I will dive with anyone recreationally in non-high current situations. If I see something I don't like, I would try to help them with their buoyancy/trim issues. If they were a complete danger to themselves, I would thumb the dive.

I can appreciate the difficulty of maintaining control of the ascent rate while buddy breathing.
The problems are over expansion injuries. It's hard to stop a student's upward ascent immediately if they're not breathing out. Every time that reg comes out, they have to remember to breathe out. A brief distraction is all it takes to evoke an injury. So, every time the reg comes out the instructor has to make sure that the bubbles are slowing. Ascending, that means I have to stop a bit on almost every exchange. I don't have to worry about such an injury when going sideways.

The last 20 ft are the most dangerous when it comes to a student not exhaling. I'm glad I don't do OW CESAs because of this. Every now and then I would have a student who exhaled too much. They would run out of air to the point where the bubbles would actually stop. Yikes! I had to stop them right there. If I couldn't tell that they were exhaling, I had to cut the exercise.

Hi Kosta,

You wrote, in part: "This made me laugh. I will dive with anyone recreationally in non-high current situations. If I see something I don't like, I would try to help them with their buoyancy/trim issues. If they were a complete danger to themselves, I would thumb the dive." (blue color added by markm)

Please, gird your loins, as this is not a criticism, personal or otherwise!

Here again, we are different. I would not dive with anyone. I dive for pleasure. I don't gain pleasure from babysitting a dependent or inexperienced diver. I will leave that to DMs and instructors. That is one of the main reasons I got a Solo/Self-Reliant/Independent cert.

markm

Back
Top Bottom