Site to visit with Conch Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdtaylor

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning on a three day dive visit with Conch Republic in the Keys in February. Since I am the first to sign up, they are asking me about sites. Any recommendations?

I have dove the east coast, but never the Keys- only passed through on a trip in my younger years to Key West that I barely remember. :D

Thanks for any feedback,

Terry

If you barely remember the trip it must have been good! They cover a lot of territory from shallow reefs to deep wrecks. What type of dive are you looking for?

I'm sure the schedule on some of your dive days already includes shallow reefs..........

A few months ago, CR let me pick the dive site on a day too. I picked Conch Wall (reef) more from the standpoint that I have not dove it often: not that many operators go there on a regular basis. Its a deeper reef than is typical in the Keys though you can stay above 60 feet if you want. The bottom of the reef is at 100 feet. We saw much marine life, lots of green and spotted morays a turtle or two, tropical fish, reef squid, lobster etc. etc. Was a very fun dive.

You almost can't go to Key Largo and miss the Spiegle Grove. I don't know if it will match up to other wrecks you have dove elsewhere on the east coast, but this is one that is interesting and you want to be able to, at least, check it off your bucket list. I do find the Eagle to be a more interesting wreck since it is partially broken up and has more growth. It also reliably has a goliath grouper or two and I've seen rays, sharks and turtles on it several times.

Just my thoughts.................

Last edited:
Second the Spiegel! Next choice would be the Duane. Depending on your training. I've been on both when there was no current to speak of and at other times when we were flags in a stiff wind on the down line.

Depends - If you like reefs and the wind is up, I would suggest something deeper like conch wall or triple x (XXX).
If you like wrecks the Duane and Spiegel are good choices.

CRD is eone of the few that goes to the Eagle.
Benwood Wreck, French Reef, Molasses Reef are all lovely shallow dives. Snapper Ledge is also a great choice.
Let me know when you are coming, maybe I join one day. :

I've been on the Eagle with CRD several times. Even once before it broke up. Was that Hurricane Georges? A while ago, anyways. Ask Captain Gary about the time a Luhrs sportfisher sank while he was on the Eagle. One of my faves.

DC

Dove with Gary and Brenda several years back and had a great time. Did the Spiegel Grove and Duane although I'm not big on wrecks. The Duane did have some great marine life on it to video. I really enjoyed Molasses Reef. I was amused when Gary apologized for the fact that we were taken there a few times... I thought it was a great dive site for what I wanted to do, film critters.

Hey Terry,

Lots of good advise here. Kinda depends if you like reefs or wrecks, we can mix it up very well. My suggestion, if I may, and assuming you like wreck diving is to do this.

Spiegel Grove/ Molasses Reef
Duane / Snapper Ledge
Eagle / Secret Garden

Those are in my opinion are stellar dives, of course depends on conditions. Hope this helps. If I can answer anymore questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Good Diving,

Hey Terry,

Lots of good advise here. Kinda depends if you like reefs or wrecks, we can mix it up very well. My suggestion, if I may, and assuming you like wreck diving is to do this.

Spiegel Grove/ Molasses Reef
Duane / Snapper Ledge
Eagle / Secret Garden

Those are in my opinion are stellar dives, of course depends on conditions. Hope this helps. If I can answer anymore questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Good Diving,

Those are definitely winners! I also love Conch Wall and Crocker Reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom