Question Visiting Sweden & Demark in August 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smdives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone!

I'll be visiting Sweden and Denmark in early August this year, and I would like to dive while I'm there.
  • PADI AOW + drysuit + nitrox + more
  • 130+ dives, most of them in drysuit.

I've been doing some research that's been slowed down by my lack of Danish & Swedish language skills. I've found some interesting information that I hope the board will confirm or challenge me on. I'm also hoping those in the know can help jumpstart my research or point me in the right direction.

Here's the rough travel plan so far. I do have a couple of "slack" days, so I could travel a few hours off this route, but I won't have time to fly to Lofoten (for example).

Sweden and Denmark.jpg

What I've read/learned:
  • There are fewer dive tour operators, because...
  • ...there are quite a few active clubs that run trips or that are great places to find good dive buddies (If this is true, can you point me to some?)
  • The west coast of Sweden is good for sea life (Gothenburg? Kullenberg Nature Reserve?).
  • The east coast of Sweden is good for wrecks, but has less visibility (Stockholm?).
  • Littlebelt in Denmark keeps getting mentioned.

So...
Where would you recommend I focus my dive time and why?
Dive clubs that would he helpful?
Any other advice?

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback Imla!
I've reached out to Dyk-Lief to see if they have room for me.
Scott.

On the west coast of Sweden try Smögen Dyk & Upplevelse. I spent a few days diving there several years ago and had a great time. Most of the staff speak some English.

I live in Malmö and the answers above are spot on; you want to get to the west coast north of Gothenburg. The one exception that is a bit closer to you is Kullen / Kullaberg as you mentioned. There are several good spots for shore dives, some easily accessible and some a bit of a trek, and there's a dive boat that goes out quite often during summer (Dykning p� Kullaberg med Kullen Dyk - Halmstad och M�lle). Hit me up if you want details, there is info on the internet, but it's in Swedish and hard to link to (Hitta dykplatser i vårt dykplatsregister.). Still, Smögen and Väderöarna (Dyk-Leif) are better.

Thanks for the responses everyone! Dyk-Lief have been very helpful, and it looks like I'll fly to Oslo and drive down to dive with them for a couple of days.
S.

Try “Diving 2000” for dives in Lillebælt (Little belt”. They used to arrange dives there, not sure if they still do, but I think so.

If you’re flying into Oslo, you could also try diving in Oslo Fjord ( I got my PADI advanced in Olso).

Don't worry about the language, everyone will speak English, both in Denmark and Sweden :) In Denmark the "Lillebelt" is probably a spot to go, you can reach ~40m from the shore at some places. Hard/soft bottom with a (comparable) rich fauna. Apart from Diving2000 you can try r-dyk.dk, both located on the island Fyn. There are also some shops in Jylland, the large peninsula. Try Århus, or ScubaFun.dk. Scubagear.dk, Oceandive.dk and Kingfish.dk are located on Sjælland, the larger island next to Sweden (the later two in Kopenhagen). Here in the Oresund, the waters separating Denmark and Sweden, you do nature shore dives (most soft/sand bottom, max ~15m) or wrek dives from boats (20-35m). For Sweden I can second the recommendations you already got; There also used to be a diving shop at Lysekil

Back
Top Bottom