SIS going NITROX!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK. I just thought it was about how the price was calculated. I didn't realize these were different markets. My mistake for thinking the product was gas, not pricing.

Debraw:
Mike-

Sorry, I should have clarified. I do understand the "why" of why divers would want the cubic foot. I am just not sure our area is in need of a by the cubic foot fill station because it seems after some research no one else does it or if they do they certainly don't advertise it. I have found the majority of cubic foot pricing in Florida. This tells me they have a market for that and since it is much more competitive they need to offer that. I also think they do a lot more fills then we will ever dream about. If I have 20 divers stop in April 1 and ask for by the cubic foot pricing then I will offer that. We have no intention of over charging anyone, at anytime, for anything. For those active Nitrox divers who will be in need of this type of filling we think the Unlimited Nitrox Fill card will cover their needs. Thanks for the comments!

I didn't mean to imply Debraw was trying to overcharge, I just thought she didn't know why some people wanted the price of their purchase to be determined by the quantity being purchased. She has clarified that now. Sorry I won't be in on the 1st. It's not any kind of protest. I just find the commute from Austin to the metroplex for fills to be a little far relative to my garage.:) I am a little intrigued by the ice diving though. Sounds like fun.

texdiveguy:
Hi Mike.... not going to answer direct for Debra, but I would like to qoute her here...
"If you are concerned if I am going to charge you $12 for a 13 cubic foot tank fill then I will put your mind at ease. I will cut you a deal, and I will set the prices very soon on the smaller fills. If you bring in a set of doubles that need a top off then heck yeah I am going to cut you a deal. Those people that know me, know dang well I am not going to overcharge you." DW
**We at SIS appreciate our customers and fellow SB members comments, it helps use to maintain a high quality of service,thanks for your insight. With respect,,,we fully understand the needs of the tec diver and will as Debra stated above, work to see all fills are fairly priced. Tec divers make up an important 5% of most scuba markets, ours in the DFW metro area is probably about this figure. It is our goal to provide a quality of product and service that will serve both tec and sport divers alike,,,,as a tid-bit of interesting info.,,,,we are to my knowledge the only area shop to have on staff a certf. Ice Diver instructor AND offer to our customers a once a year oppt. to trek north for ice diving---now how 'kool' is that. So Mike after April first,,,,please bring in those tanks,,it would be a pleasure meeting you. :)

M G:
I didn't mean to imply Debraw was trying to overcharge, I just thought she didn't know why some people wanted the price of their purchase to be determined by the quantity being purchased. She has clarified that now. Sorry I won't be in on the 1st. It's not any kind of protest. I just find the commute from Austin to the metroplex for fills to be a little far relative to my garage.:) I am a little intrigued by the ice diving though. Sounds like fun.

Austin would be a bit far for fills no doubt--lol Our shop like most survive off sport /rec. divers and ours is know differnt,,but with the recent trend in more diver giving tec a try at least thru the entry training phases,we are ready to help those folks as well! Wish you were closer,,,but Mike if ever in Arlington please stop by for a soda and chat. Safe and fun diving.... Alan

Thanks Andrew. I really do appreciate the congratulations! It's a big decision, and a big investment for the shop. We have made a few adjustments to the warehouse to accomodate our new baby and pictures will be along as soon as we get the "stork" to deliver.

For those of you interested in getting Nitrox certified, we are offering a Nitrox course in April ( several class times available) for just $109 and it includes, books, slates, PADI certification card, 2 dives with an instructor, use of all gear ( includes BCD/Reg,wetsuits etc. ) with Nitrox fills included! Lake weekend will be at Lake Travis May 6-7, 2006 or locally at CSSP this summer.

Here is a picture and link on our website with a few more details:

http://www.siscuba.com/Nitrox%20Membrane.htm

Our System is a Nuvair Element
  • No O2 Blending Or Blending Courses Required
  • Safe To Operate With No O2 Cleaning Required Saves you $40 to $70 per year.
Features
  • Produces Air Or 32%-40% Nitrox @ 9 CFM
  • Mixes Accurate To Within 1/10 th Percent
Nitrox/EANX Fills $12ea.
Fill Cards Available 5 fills for $50; 10 fills for $90
Unlimited Nitrox fills for 1 year $150 per Cylinder
Purchase a new Aluminum Cylinder nitrox ready for $179 w/upgraded pro valve includes 10 free Nitrox fills.
Pro Valve
provalve.gif

• Standard Yoke outlet with removable insert adapter, converts to 230 bar DIN outlet
  • 3/4" - 14 NPSM inlet
  • For use with up to 40% pre-blend O2
Upgrade your existing Cylinder to Nitrox for only $24.95 includes all labels, valve parts, and current visual inspection.
Offering Nitrox EANX for the North Texas DFW Metroplex Regions. Located in Arlington Texas Right of 360. Arlington Being centrally located between Dallas and Fort Worth is a convent and easy way to get Nitrox as you wait. No need to leave your tank and pick up later.

It'll be great to have another nitrox option in the area. I am a little confused about this "Upgrade your existing Cylinder to Nitrox" statement. As far as I know, there are only two levels of cleanliness, plain old scuba cylinders and O2 clean which can be used with up to 100% O2 or partial pressure filling. I am not aware of anything that needs to be done to a cylinder to make it ready for mixes less than 40% and I've never seen a shop that banks require anything beyond a standard viz nor have I heard of "nitrox ready" tanks. Can you please elaborate on this "nitrox upgrade"?

Also, will you have oxygen available for richer mixes?

If you sold by the cubic foot and based the price off on a $12 80 comes to about 15 cents per cubic foot, for me to fill my doulbes back up from a 3rds dive would run me around 11 dollars, this is a very sweet thing as how it is done now I have to pay for the full fill every time and by the end of the year I've paid an arm and two legs for gas when I don't breathe most of it (another shop). If you were to advertise this as by the cubic foot based on $12 to fill an 80 you could eventually corner the "tech" market in DFW on nitrox is my guess, now how big that market is, I have no idea, throught I would throw in my 2 cents.

I'm also confused about the nitrox ready, my understanding is if its out of a bank or membrane its going into the tanks under high pressure but at under 40% o2, I've seen this performed many places on tanks that are not o2 clean by any measure of the word with stick blending and membrane on blends under 40%.

Anyway I'm also glad to see more nitrox shops in the area, congratulations on the system.

I think off the top of my head it is more of a contamination issues for the people pumping Nitrox. It would be nice if everyone pumped ‘E’ grade air and that would be compatible with Nitrox, Oxygen, and topping off certain tanks. In the past I have thought of keeping an ‘air tank’ for sites that are not nitrox clean good examples of this is Windy Point and Athens Scuba Park.

Any tank with Nitrox in it should be labeled with the O2 content- that could also be part of the reasoning behind wanting to rebuild the valve and label the tanks.
This could be a bigger issue for technical divers that are doing gas switches underwater and properly labeled tanks.

Debra in the past has gone out of her way to assist divers and I think she was outlining in a broad manner for open water style divers. I would go in and speak to her in person about top off and the system. I am sure she will listen to your needs.
Then again you two can be a real pain....:D

Andrew

loosebits:
I am a little confused about this "Upgrade your existing Cylinder to Nitrox" statement. <Snip> Also, will you have oxygen available for richer mixes?

"Upgrade your existing Cylinder to Nitrox for only $24.95 includes all labels, valve parts, and current visual inspection"

It only includes the labels ( Nitrox tank wrap sticker), Valve parts ( rebuild valve with Viton _rings, including Tank o-ring) and a current visual inspection with Nitrox inspection sticker.

We are not advertising we will clean your tank in any way.

We are working on being able to conduct richer mixes and Tri-Mix, but this may be sometime down the road when we see what the level of need is in the Metroplex.

FIXXERVI6:
If you sold by the cubic foot and based the price off on a $12 80 comes to about 15 cents per cubic foot, for me to fill my doulbes back up from a 3rds dive would run me around 11 dollars

If you bring your doubles in half full, I would only charge you for one fill. If you decided to get a fill card for 10 fills then you would only be paying $9.00 for that fill, instead of $12.

We also have the unlimited one year Nitrox fill card per tank for $150. Not sure if this is feasible for you though, you would have to calculate out your average number of fills per year and if you would use our shop everytime or would fill based on convenience and location.

We will definitely be tracking the fills and the customers to see if the cubic foot option is doable.

In regards to your other "Nitrox ready" question, please see post to Loosebits. We are only doing the labels, inspection, etc.- no cleaning. We don't need to!!! I LOVE IT!!! Membrane....it's a gas man, a real gas!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom