SIS going NITROX!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Owners Debra (Debraw) and Troy Welch and the entire Surface Interval Scuba/Arlington staff are excited to announce starting April 1st., the addition of a 'brand new' Nuvair Element membrane nitrox system to the shop. SIS has long been a leader of nitrox training for sport divers in the DFW area, but like so many shops has purchased its nitrox from other shops---NO LONGER the case! The shop will continue to offer top rate nitrox training in addition to product offerings with the nitrox diver in mind. The benifits of a membrane nitrox system are many when it comes to the sport diver. In addition to a staff of experc. instructors and divemasters, SIS has two DSAT certf. Gas Blenders on staff. We are really happy about this new nitrox service we will offer the DFW dive community, and we always look forward to visiting with you!!

http://www.siscuba.com/

Alan,
Any specifics?

Is it cost per fill or per Cu. Ft.?

What cylinders are acceptable?

Can you fill HP tanks?

What connections do you have- Din, Yoke, DIN300?

Can tanks be filled while we wait?.. or do we need to drop them off?

What is the Nitrox range 30-40%?

Any plans for weak Trimix in the future?

Thanks, Andrew

Any specifics? **In a 'nut' shell,,,,planning is still taking place as we write!

Is it cost per fill or per Cu. Ft.? Per fill for Nitrox certf. divers:$12.00,,,, 80cf cylindar rental/fill:$20.00
Active dive professionals (Nitrox certf.):reduced rate
One cylinder/1-year unlimited fill card:$150.00

What cylinders are acceptable? Scuba of course--lol....if the cylinder is not with current 02 clean sticker....an inspection of the cylinder will be made and stickered for use of only pre-mixed EAN not above 40% 02, a fee will be charged for this service.

Can you fill HP tanks? Yes

What connections do you have- Din, Yoke, DIN300? Yoke and DIN

Can tanks be filled while we wait?.. or do we need to drop them off? Fills on the 'fly' will depend on the staffing and how busy we are in the shop at the time,,,,if we can--we will! It would be great to have a few hours lead time though.

What is the Nitrox range 30-40%? Our machine can do up to EANx40

Any plans for weak Trimix in the future? That is to be seen--our customers needs and market will guide the shop ...time/market will tell. To just make this move is one of major investment.$.

mike_s:
ouch... is that price the norm for that area?

Actually it is on the 'better' end for our area. Supply and demand has some infl. on pricing,,,,we here in north Texas have over the past few years finally seen the usage of Nitrox building in our area for our sport diving community,,,,but you lucky guys in Florida have a great market for the Nitrox buyer.

Thought I might just chime in here a minute! TexDiveGuy has given you all some great answers and has covered just about everything. We are very excited about adding a Nitrox system to the shop. I have been thinking about adding this service for almost 2 years. Those of you familiar with Nitrox systems will know that a membrane system is a great addition for any dive shop ($$$$$) . We thought about partial pressure but I really wanted to go a step beyond the "norm" for our area. I can certainly appreciate the questions you have and I would like to specifically answer the "pricing by cubic foot". If I am asked that question point blank then the answer is "no". If you can ask the question with some more specifics about why you would want to price by cubic foot then I can help you. If you are concerned if I am going to charge you $12 for a 13 cubic foot tank fill then I will put your mind at ease. I will cut you a deal, and I will set the prices very soon on the smaller fills. If you bring in a set of doubles that need a top off then heck yeah I am going to cut you a deal. Those people that know me, know dang well I am not going to overcharge you. Those of you who don't me, then it's time you stopped by. If you are diving Nitrox or will be diving Nitrox on a regular basis then you need to check out our "Unlimited Nitrox Fill" card/sticker. Call me (817-652-3483) and I will explain it, e-mail me debra@siscuba or stop by. We want to make this work, and we want to please everyone (tall order). See you soon!

Debraw,

Given the need to maintain adequate reserves and the use of stage bottles, it is common for technical divers to use a relatively small amount of gas from a given cylinder(s). Of course the same need for adequate gas requires these "partially used" cylinders to need to be pumped up before diving again. This all means these guys will tend to get the short end of the stick paying for a "complete" fill when they routinely only need a little top up. Pricing by the cubic foot helps keep it simple and reasonable, especially when refilling multiple cylinders.

-Mike

Debraw:
Thought I might just chime in here a minute! TexDiveGuy has given you all some great answers and has covered just about everything. We are very excited about adding a Nitrox system to the shop. I have been thinking about adding this service for almost 2 years. Those of you familiar with Nitrox systems will know that a membrane system is a great addition for any dive shop ($$$$$) . We thought about partial pressure but I really wanted to go a step beyond the "norm" for our area. I can certainly appreciate the questions you have and I would like to specifically answer the "pricing by cubic foot". If I am asked that question point blank then the answer is "no". If you can ask the question with some more specifics about why you would want to price by cubic foot then I can help you. If you are concerned if I am going to charge you $12 for a 13 cubic foot tank fill then I will put your mind at ease. I will cut you a deal, and I will set the prices very soon on the smaller fills. If you bring in a set of doubles that need a top off then heck yeah I am going to cut you a deal. Those people that know me, know dang well I am not going to overcharge you. Those of you who don't me, then it's time you stopped by. If you are diving Nitrox or will be diving Nitrox on a regular basis then you need to check out our "Unlimited Nitrox Fill" card/sticker. Call me (817-652-3483) and I will explain it, e-mail me debra@siscuba or stop by. We want to make this work, and we want to please everyone (tall order). See you soon!

M G:
Debraw,

Given the need to maintain adequate reserves and the use of stage bottles, it is common for technical divers to use a relatively small amount of gas from a given cylinder(s). Of course the same need for adequate gas requires these "partially used" cylinders to need to be pumped up before diving again. This all means these guys will tend to get the short end of the stick paying for a "complete" fill when they routinely only need a little top up. Pricing by the cubic foot helps keep it simple and reasonable, especially when refilling multiple cylinders.

-Mike

Hi Mike.... not going to answer direct for Debra, but I would like to qoute her here...
"If you are concerned if I am going to charge you $12 for a 13 cubic foot tank fill then I will put your mind at ease. I will cut you a deal, and I will set the prices very soon on the smaller fills. If you bring in a set of doubles that need a top off then heck yeah I am going to cut you a deal. Those people that know me, know dang well I am not going to overcharge you." DW
**We at SIS appreciate our customers and fellow SB members comments, it helps use to maintain a high quality of service,thanks for your insight. With respect,,,we fully understand the needs of the tec diver and will as Debra stated above, work to see all fills are fairly priced. Tec divers make up an important 5% of most scuba markets, ours in the DFW metro area is probably about this figure. It is our goal to provide a quality of product and service that will serve both tec and sport divers alike,,,,as a tid-bit of interesting info.,,,,we are to my knowledge the only area shop to have on staff a certf. Ice Diver instructor AND offer to our customers a once a year oppt. to trek north for ice diving---now how 'kool' is that. So Mike after April first,,,,please bring in those tanks,,it would be a pleasure meeting you. :)

Mike-

Sorry, I should have clarified. I do understand the "why" of why divers would want the cubic foot. I am just not sure our area is in need of a by the cubic foot fill station because it seems after some research no one else does it or if they do they certainly don't advertise it. I have found the majority of cubic foot pricing in Florida. This tells me they have a market for that and since it is much more competitive they need to offer that. I also think they do a lot more fills then we will ever dream about. If I have 20 divers stop in April 1 and ask for by the cubic foot pricing then I will offer that. We have no intention of over charging anyone, at anytime, for anything. For those active Nitrox divers who will be in need of this type of filling we think the Unlimited Nitrox Fill card will cover their needs. Thanks for the comments!

Back
Top Bottom