Sinking the USCG Mohawk: Reefmakers to accomplish what Nazis couldn't do!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would politely disagree. If anything, by sinking these ships, I think we are bringing MORE awareness to these great ships and their great stories & heritage. I would have never otherwise heard of the Kittiwake, Oriskany, Vandenburg, Speigel, Yukon, Mitzpah, etc., if they weren't sunk and a great dive destination. They all have a great story to be told, and are also great for us divers and the fishes, too. :) Sunken ships make great reefs, and great reefs are good for life, and life is good for all of us :) Just my 2 cents.

I completely agree with muzikbiz22. Case in point, I was in the US Navy stationed on the USS McInerney (FFG 8) back in the mid 90's. It was one of the oldest Frigates in service at the time. It was finally decommissioned about 2 years ago (which I was lucky enough to attend the ceremony), but promptly sold to the Pakistanis. I would have loved for my old ship to have been sunk as an artificial reef. It would have been nice to be able to visit her anytime I wanted, however that will never be the case and I'll never see her again. Quite sad actually. So, I personally think that sinking these great vessels for divers, fish, etc.. to enjoy for many, many years into the future is a somewhat perfect ending.

It's such a shame that this vessel could not be preserved as a museum. A similar thing happened a few years ago in Honolulu, where they could no longer find the funds to maintain a wooden sailing ship that was part of the Hawaii Maritime Museum (not sure if that is exact name). I toured that ship a couple of times and really enjoyed it, but I recently heard it had been sunk as an artificial reef off Oahu. I was rather shocked by this. I know it's a lot of money to maintain these vessels, but we are losing our maritime heritage.

The sad fact of life, is that as Pete has said, the cost of maintenance on an ongoing basis is prohibitive. To see such a fine lady as this slowly deteriorate is heartbreaking. One has only to drive over the Baltimore Beltway to see the ships and tugs half sunk and slowly dying in heartbreaking slowness to understand how sad this is. To see her start a new life, that creates life and a place to visit her is simply the best news in her long career.

subscribed and looking forward to visiting... If I have some advance notice, I might be able stand offshore to see her go down..
Thanks for the heads up Pete.

So, have they made any tentative date when it will be sunk?

Grr. 22 miles off Sanibel. That is like err... 3 hours by boat there and back?

That's the nature of the Gulf. For example, the Fantastico is 53 nm off Fort Myers and in 115' and the Roatan Express in 80 nm in 190'. Diving in the Gulf involves longer boat rides but the diving can be incredibly rewarding.

I do not get sea sick so distance traveled is not so much of a problem. There are, however, issues that sort of prevent me from diving so deep.

For one I have yet to (after 5 years and 200+ dives) get my advanced open water. I bought books and participated in classes before as a helper but currently waiting on shop to organize navigation and stress and rescue so I could get my advanced and master diver in one go. And even once that is done... I just do not feel confident about diving so deep.

My dive shop is planning a liveaboard in the keys to dive 10 wrecks in 5-7 days and I am a little apprehensive. As cool as those ships are... they are deep and bottom time is limited and cut due to air consumption. I just can't justify the cost if you know what I mean.

I still have a few months left so we shall see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom