Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Appreciate the report; I don't know if such a trip is on my bucket list, but I've thought about it. I've also wondered whether, if I ever saw them up close and personal like you just did, I could ever quit thinking about them on future ocean dive trips.

Richard.

Reactions: Dan
Appreciate the report; I don't know if such a trip is on my bucket list, but I've thought about it. I've also wondered whether, if I ever saw them up close and personal like you just did, I could ever quit thinking about them on future ocean dive trips.

Richard.
It's one-time thing for me, as I have never seen GWS. After that experience, if I ever see one in the blue, cage less, my heart beat may not be as fast as before and I know better of what not to do. Same feeling after seeing Oceanic Whitetip and Tiger Shark.

Now I got the itch scratched, I'll move on to the next one, Tiger Beach. I have seen Tiger Shark in Cocos up close, before, but not the Great Hammerhead. So, I'm looking forward to that trip.

Now I got the itch scratched, I'll move on to the next one, Tiger Beach. I have seen Tiger Shark in Cocos up close, before, but not the Great Hammerhead. So, I'm looking forward to that trip.

I've done both Guadeloupe and Tiger Beach, both awesome both I'm returning to this year. If I had to pick one it would be Tiger Beach, I've rarely had my blood pumping so hard in my life after an epic Tiger Shark and Great Hammerhead run round the bait box for 8 minutes without pause. Truely epic, and an incredible adrenaline rush. Having a Great Hammerhead gliding by feet away is a experience I'll never forget.

I loved Guadelopue, my first trip was in November so it was big females, i hear the males are more aggressive so I'm going at the end of September this time. Hoping for a mix of horny aggresive bro-sharks showing off for the hot girl summer females. But if I had to choose one over the other it would be Tiger Beach.
@Dan you are ticking all the shark destinations of the list so far where would you go back to?

@Dan you are ticking all the shark destinations of the list so far where would you go back to

I’ll wait & see and decide it after Tiger Beach. So far the 2 contenders are Scalloped Hammerheads in Manuelita Outside (Cocos) & Oceanic Whitetip (Longimanus) in Elphinstone (Red Sea) as they are unfed and just behaving in their natural environment, as shown in these videos:

Longimanus to me is the most beautiful shark I have ever seen. It’s like a fighter jet.

FYI,
Majority of divers (27/30) were from USA. So Nautilus charter a big Greyhound-type bus from ABC to haul us back to San Diego.

The remaining three guests, two of them were from Mexico City and one, my cabin mate, was from Italy. Those three, non US residents, flew in & out through Tijuana airport and required to get Covid test before flying home. The rest of us didn’t need to get the Covid test for going back to US by land.

Going home without needing to get a Covid test is a blessing for us when you see how long the line was to get back to US via San Ignacio land port. We were stuck in that line for 2 hours, plus 2 hours of travel time. So, most of us arrived back in San Diego around 9pm and had to stay overnight there, before flying home on the next day.

You can see that Americans are about 90% of the clients. Without us the trip may not be happening. Fortunately most of us have been fully vaccinated too.

No one tested positive of COVID-19. We were in COVID-19 free environment.

Another FYI:
Going to Ensenada was only 4 people on a 10-seat van since people were coming at different time of the day, depending upon their flight arrival time. The pickup schedule was at 3 different locations in San Diego (Starbucks Liberty Station, Four Points Hotel & Ocean Enterprises) and at four different times, noon, 2pm, 4pm, and 7pm.

Going back to San Diego was on a 60-seat Greyhound bus because 27 of us were leaving together to San Diego from Ensenada at 4pm.

We were all in Covid-free bubble for 6 days on the boat. So, I was not worried about contracting the virus and I had been fully vaccinated in April.

The van has 10 seats with 4 of us & the driver. The Greyhound bus has 60 seats with 27 of us. So we had plenty of space to spread out in both vehicles.

Great report, enjoyed reading about you GWS adventure. Hope I can check this off my bucket list soon!

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom