Juliet Liveaboard to Bahamas Nov 2-8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I recently completed a Bahamas trip on the Juliet which departed November 2 - 8. It was a wonderful and truly memorable experience! We dove twice in the morning, did one afternoon dive, and one night dive every day (except the last day which omitted the night dive). Dive sites varied each day and we bounced around between Bimini, Gingerbread Grounds, Ocean Cay, and Cat Cay. Weather was generally favorable with a brief sprinkling of rain on one or two days of our journey. I was a bit nervous about the ocean crossing to/from the Bahamas but it wasn’t too rocky as previously thought.

We had accommodations in the suite ES2 room which was beautifully furnished with classic wood interior with plenty of outlets for charging cameras/lights, storage space for clothes and gear, twin bed and bunk option, as well as a personal shower and marine toilet. Earplugs for sleeping were very helpful as the A/C noise was noticeable and I am a VERY light sleeper. On deck and in the dining room area, there is plenty of room to stretch out and read, doze, or chit chat. We never felt crammed.

Liza, the ship captain, wore many hats during the trip. She was a welcoming host and great conversationalist for the downtime between dives. She would routinely check up on us throughout our diving trips to answer any fish ID questions or ask about any preferences for diving. Her knowledge of the dive sites was very welcome especially for our night dive octopus searches! We loved anytime the resident dive boat cat Rico would make an appearance and ask for scratches too!

Hillary, the chef, accommodated diet restrictions and served a wonderful variety of foods for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and mid-morning snacks. It was tough to not go up for seconds! Once the diving was done, the liquor cabinet and beer cooler were raided for nightcaps and had a variety of craft beers and liquor.

Before each dive, the dive master Jeanneau (I hope I spelled that right!) gave us a rundown of the dive site with a detailed map and gave us clues where to find certain wildlife.

After the dive briefing, Brittany the biologist provided us with a “Fish of the Dive” challenge to spot a particular fish on our dive, and could answer some biology questions or fish ID questions. She also was a great source of corny aquatic related jokes that made us all laugh. Upon request, she can show you how to use a lion fish spear and “zoo keeper” for hunting lion fish, which was a neat challenge for my wife. After spearing a lion fish, Max the engineer on board, showed us how to properly prepare a lion fish safely and how to cut out fillets for cooking.

We appreciated that every dive was self-lead and we could dive as long as we wanted to (most of our dives were over an hour!). Having a compass and navigation skills down is critical to enjoying your dives. Each diver had a tank assigned to them with an associated “cubby” storage unit for keeping all dive gear secured. For photographers there are multiple camera buckets for rinsing off cameras, which are gently lowered to you after jumping into the water. There was ample room to gear up and we took advantage of the Nitrox option since we dive all available dive opportunities. We expected to encounter sharks regularly on our dives, but we only had several carribean reef sharks tag along with us on certain dive sites. Green and loggerhead sea turtle encounters were very frequent and flybys with massive loggerheads was truly magical! Our favorite dive location was the Sapona, a very shallow wreck that was a veritable aquarium that was a host to a vibrant cast of characters at night.

It was sad to depart after a week of fun diving, but we were very impressed with our experience on Juliet (compared to the Aggressor liveaboard we did in the past) and are already talking about booking another trip in the next few years!

P.S. (Not related to Juliet):
We stayed overnight at the nearby YVE hotel for convenience and would NOT recommend it. They charged a non-optional $20 amenities fee for WiFi and a complimentary sugary drink at reception. The hotel was very loud and geared towards the all-inclusive cruise crowd. People were partying all night and you could hear guests puking in the bathrooms through the walls in the morning. Also the breakfast buffet is not complimentary and they don’t tell you until you load a plate up.

The Juliet continues to get very good trip reports, I see. How many dives were offered for that week? For people researching trip options and finding this thread, it's my understanding they don't provide free guide service (hence you mentioned self-led diving). From what I understand, nitrox is offered; did you guys dive nitrox? How many divers were on the boat your trip?

Which Aggressor Fleet boat are you comparing it to?

Richard.

The Juliet continues to get very good trip reports, I see. How many dives were offered for that week? For people researching trip options and finding this thread, it's my understanding they don't provide free guide service (hence you mentioned self-led diving). From what I understand, nitrox is offered; did you guys dive nitrox? How many divers were on the boat your trip?

Which Aggressor Fleet boat are you comparing it to?

Richard.

Good follow up questions! I will answer them in order.

You had the opportunity to dive 19 dives during that week. We boarded Saturday midday and had an overnight crossing to arrive in Bimini on Sunday Morning.
Sunday - Wednesday: 4 dives per day (2 morning, one afternoon, one night)
Thursday: 3 dives (2 morning, 1 afternoon)
Thursday night we started our crossing back to Miami to arrive Friday morning. It was the right amount because at the conclusion of the last dive we were EXHAUSTED.

I did not ask about a guided dive service, so I would not know about that. However since there were no drift dives, the start and end point was at the mooring line. Some of the less experienced divers just stayed within view of the tie off point.

Yes we dove Nitrox to be safe and enjoy longer bottom times.

There were 12 divers on board including my wife and I.

The Aggressor Liveaboard I was referring to was the Caño Island Okeanos boat (Costa Rica).

Thanks. 19 Dives is what I hear Blackbeards offers, and they don't offer nitrox or guided dives, but are cheaper. The Juliet sits in what sounds like a nice niche; more expensive than Blackbeards, cheaper (but fewer dives) than the well-regarded AquaCat. If I were planning a Bahamas trip, the main boat that I'd compare 'deals' on would be the Bahamas Aggressor (perhaps not the Tiger Beach itinerary, which would be a plus for some!) when Aggressor Fleet runs one of their big sales and drives the price down.

The main thing I'd emphasize for people considering the Juliet is I hear the dives aren't guided, which would be an issue for some.

I hope to try them someday. They get rave reviews.

Richard.

@krukster86 Thanks for the great trip report! Did you do any shore excursions while you were on the Juliet? What was the water temperature like? Did you have the chance to sail under wind power while on the Juliet? How was the set-up for the entry and exit?

@krukster86 Thanks for the great trip report! Did you do any shore excursions while you were on the Juliet? What was the water temperature like? Did you have the chance to sail under wind power while on the Juliet? How was the set-up for the entry and exit?

More good questions.

1. No shore excursions. I heard some talk about a Bimini visit option from some guests, however Hurricane Dorian messed up the Bimini Bay harbor/marina entry depth and Liza (Captain) mentioned that we would run the risk of running aground. That wasn't a big issue since we didn't want to sacrifice a diving day for a shore excursion.

2. Water temperature hovered between 82 F for night dives and 84 F in the early afternoon dive. Some dove in swim trunks/rash guards only, but we were just fine in 3mm full wetsuits. Gloves are recommended for exploring the wreck of the Sapona and for going up/down the mooring line. Additionally, on one of the evening dives, there was a lot of surface current, so it was advantageous to grab ahold of a line when waiting your turn to go up the ladder after a dive. Just to be safe, we packed neoprene hoods as well, since we used them extensively in Key Largo in December last year, but we never used them!

3. We "sailed" only once, and it was really just for show. We "motor-sailed" (hahaha) for almost the entire journey. I was told by the Engineer (Max) that if we were to sail under wind power, it would have to be so windy, that no diving was allowed.

4. Setup for entry: Each diver has an assigned tank on the diver's station in the middle of the boat, where BCDs are left on the tank for the duration of the trip (and all dive gear is stored in a "cubby" next to the tank). After the dive briefing, each diver dons their wetsuit, booties, etc and clips into their BCDs. When ready, the divemaster and other crew on deck will help the diver up to walk over to the port or starboard side of the boat and ensure that your air is on. When clear, divers perform a stride-jump around 4-5 feet into the water. If a diver has a camera, the camera is lowered down to the diver after giving an OK sign.

Setup for exit: After a safety stop, each diver ascends and gives and OK sign to the divemaster or other crew in sight and fins over to the rope trailing alongside the boat to wait their turn to board. Once you are clear to board, fins are removed and either handed to the divemaster/crew or strapped to your wrists, and you climb up a metal ladder back to your dive station. For those needing assistance, you can remove your BCD in the water and have the crew bring it up for you, so that you can ascend the ladder easier.

My daughter, two nieces and I are signed up for this trip in July 2020 along with Adivingbel and his bride.
This will be the first liveaboard experience for the two nieces.

My daughter, two nieces and I are signed up for this trip in July 2020 along with Adivingbel and his bride.
This will be the first liveaboard experience for the two nieces.

DD,
I think this will be an excellent first live-aboard experience for your nieces. Hopefully everyone is OK with being low maintenance for a week :D
I am a very light sleeper so it took me a couple nights to get used to falling asleep on the boat and getting a good nights rest. Melatonin chewables + earplugs + adult beverage nightcap did the trick for me.

I have taken the nieces to Bonaire a couple of times.
We are going down a few days early and diving the BHB with Scuba Jenny.
My daughter and I have dove the bridge with her before - it's a top shelf experience.

I've done 3 trips on the Juliet, and echo all the positive comments above. 19 dives per week trip is typical, although a few years ago Liza let me squeeze in an extra dive so I could hit #100 on the last dive. Dives are not typically guided, although we did have a DM trailing a diver-below float on a drift dive in strong current off of Mona Island.

The only shore excursion I recall was to "The Baths" on Virgin Gorda in BVI (definitely worth missing one dive for that hike, IMO - google it).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom