singles with bp/w.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how important is it to wear a crotch strap if solely diving singles?
The crotch strap will keep the BP/W rig firmly attached to your back.

I have dived my single tank BP/W rig in warm water conditions without a crotch strap and didn't have an issue with the BP/W "riding up." YMMV. Try it without a crotch strap to see whether you experience the "riding up" issue.

Why are you thinking about not wearing a crotch strap? Are you worried about a chafing-in-the-crotch issue? If so, there are manufacturers who sell crotch straps made of a softer material. If you are wearing even a thin wetsuit, chafing really shouldn't be an issue even with a strap made of rougher material. Simply make sure that the crotch strap is properly adjusted (not too tight and not too loose). Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Very important!! You do not want the BP/W riding up on you.:shocked2:

I don't know that "important!!" is an accurate term in this situation.

The crotch strap will keep the BP/W rig firmly attached to your back.

This is why I wear one. It is very secure and just overall feels better to me.

I have dived my single tank BP/W rig in warm water conditions without a crotch strap and didn't have an issue with the BP/W "riding up." YMMV. Try it without a crotch strap to see whether you experience the "riding up" issue.

Same here. I used it without a strap, it worked just fine, but I found the fit with a strap to be more to my liking. No more, no less. I agree, try it for yourself and see which way you like it best.

I don't know that "important!!" is an accurate term in this situation.

This is why I wear one. It is very secure and just overall feels better to me.

Same here. I used it without a strap, it worked just fine, but I found the fit with a strap to be more to my liking. No more, no less. I agree, try it for yourself and see which way you like it best.

Oh well each it's own!!!

I works without one. But not as well as with one.

You don't necessarily need a 2in cast iron affair though. A lot of manufacturers sell 1in crotch straps, with or without a quick release.

That said, a 2in butt D-ring is convenient to stow stuff like lens covers during the dive.

I use mine, Never had an issue with it bothering me, I also dive in a drysuit so don't notice it. I have not tried diving with out it hooked up and probably wont just an extra safety measure to keep it from moving around.

A properly adjusted crotch strap is a total non issue.

The "fear of the crotch strap" is way over blown.

Tobin

Anyone who is worried about a crotch strap being uncomfortable...has never worn one.

Sort of a bad name from a marketing standpoint...kind of implies that its purpose is to strap your rig to your crotch!

:shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom