Single on a BP/W w/o a STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just shell out for the DR SMP single tank adaptor. It adds a couple pounds of weight that you're going to need with the heavy wetsuit/dry suit for cold quarry diving anyway, not to mention the stability of the tank on your back. I tried to do it without the SMP and I hated the way the tank shifts on my back.

Recently bought a BP/W and tested it this weekend. Looks like I'll be getting the adapter too. The tank held solidly on my back without any shifting. Instead my problem was getting the tank straight with the plate at the start. I kept securing it at an angle.

I use the exact set-up you describe and as long as my cam straps are cinched tightly I have never felt my tank to be unstable at all.

Until a few months ago, I used a STA. Because I travel a lot and am always looking to reduce weight and bulk, I decided to remove the STA. I find the BP/W perfectly fine without it.

Ironically, I have found the non-STA set-up to be a bit more stable over the long run because the STA would often become loose on multiple dives. That never seems to happen to me when I cam the tank directly to the backplate.

Ensure the tank and backplate are vertically aligned by looking at the backplate, not the tank. The backplate should appear vertical, not angled.

Just make sure your cams are tight and the tank will not move around. The Sex Bolts are a good idea if you have them, but not really necessary.

Jeff

I use the exact set-up you describe and as long as my cam straps are cinched tightly I have never felt my tank to be unstable at all.

Until a few months ago, I used a STA. Because I travel a lot and am always looking to reduce weight and bulk, I decided to remove the STA. I find the BP/W perfectly fine without it.

Ironically, I have found the non-STA set-up to be a bit more stable over the long run because the STA would often become loose on multiple dives. That never seems to happen to me when I cam the tank directly to the backplate.

What Jeff said. I have a transpac harness, two DiveRite book screws (what some of you are calling sex screws :wink:) and two DiveRite cam bands along with an OMS doughnut wing (which has the little pillow blocks built into the wing). I started out using the STA but found that the cam bands alone were much better and quite secure.

Last edited:
My single tank rig has the STA that can have a 6lb weight added to it if diving small light tanks. When at home using it I remove the weight for large steel tanks. I really like the STA with the option of adding weight. :D

Just a quick follow up:

I decided to go with the STA. It is rock solid and keeps the tank square on the backplate.

Having the STA is certainly made my system more stable.

Recently bought a BP/W and tested it this weekend. Looks like I'll be getting the adapter too. The tank held solidly on my back without any shifting. Instead my problem was getting the tank straight with the plate at the start. I kept securing it at an angle.

Yep, STA solved my problem too.

Anyone else want to "me three" or "me four" this too? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom