Single on a BP/W w/o a STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingsley Zissou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings All

As a spring project, I have been piecing together a backplate and wing setup that I will try for singles in the cold quarries around home. I have never had the chance to dive one, but when the opportunity presented itself to acquire a few of the key components on the cheap, I jumped at it. I now have all the basic pieces and have started actually putting them together. Here is what I have:

DR Transplate harness
DR SS backplate
DR Venture wing
DR tank straps (2)

I have read that unless you are frequently switching from doubles to singles that the single tank adapter is not really needed and you can just thread the tank straps through the BP slots. However, when I put plate, wing and tank straps together, I wind up the tank sitting right on the head of the bolts that holds the wing and plate together. This makes things less stable than I feel they could be.

Have I done something wrong with my set up, or is this just something you deal with if you don't use a STA? Does anyone have a trick or work around that might help?

Thanks

Look for a flat headed bolt (or slotted screw) so that the head of the bolt will fit into the grommets on the wing. Chech at a good hardware - you will want stainless - and they should have a large size selection. A few wings are designed to be used without a STA - I have 2 Golem 35# wings and have never had a bit of problem with tank movement. Just checked my wing and I am using a stainless steel slotted screw with a wing nut on the inside.

Proper sex bolts won't protrude much. Like:

Scuba Sex Bolts reviews and discounts, Dive Rite

Some wings have pillow blocks to keep the tank from shifting around. DSS and HOG do, others don't. HOG's are minimal, DSS's are superb.

Richard

Just shell out for the DR SMP single tank adaptor. It adds a couple pounds of weight that you're going to need with the heavy wetsuit/dry suit for cold quarry diving anyway, not to mention the stability of the tank on your back. I tried to do it without the SMP and I hated the way the tank shifts on my back.

I started with the same set up you described and I ended up getting the STA. It just makes the entire process of putting the tank on much easier. Also the rig becomes much more stable with it. It might seem expensive but I advise that you spring for it. You won't be dissapointed.

Some wings have pillow blocks to keep the tank from shifting around. DSS and HOG do, others don't. HOG's are minimal, DSS's are superb.

I like the idea of using pillow blocks. Can you get them as a separate piece or only as part of the wings you mention? I could not find them on the DSS site.

Thanks

I like the idea of using pillow blocks. Can you get them as a separate piece or only as part of the wings you mention? I could not find them on the DSS site.

Thanks

Oxycheq makes a Soft STA. I haven't used it, but it looks like the same concept. Wings-STA.

Thanks

They're molded into the wing.

Richard

i have the same rig for singles also except i use the rec wing. with the sex bolts i havent ever had an issue with the tank shifting. i have another dedicated rig for doubles so i didnt bother with a STA

brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom