http://www.diveheart.org/

Since we're in the donating mood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adurso:
Actually "modern civilization" is pretty good as compared to historical civilization.

I beg to differ.

I'm not a historian but I'd be willing to bet that more people have died as a result of wars in the last 100 years than in the rest of recorded history combined.

R..

Diver0001:
I beg to differ.

I'm not a historian but I'd be willing to bet that more people have died as a result of wars in the last 100 years than in the rest of recorded history combined.

R..

Where would we be as a race without war? Where would our medical, communications, space, transportation, manufacturing, virtually every technology representative of an advanced civilization be without war as a motivator? For us to advance, it seems to be a necessary evil. Kinda like killing and eating animals.

walk out your front door...

dherbman:
Where would we be as a race without war? Where would our medical, communications, space, transportation, manufacturing, virtually every technology representative of an advanced civilization be without war as a motivator?

interesting point ... hmmmm .... i think i disagree

certainly some technologies have been developed and perfected through warfare,
but i think overall, war is a draining of resources (and a waste of resources) that
if employed during peacetime to make advances would probably yield more for us.

that said, violence (and war is organized violence) is probably inevitable, as
there's probably always going to be some group around that's going to want
what you have and will resort to violence to get it...

i have a butter knife and know how to use it...

Diver0001:
I beg to differ.

R..

it's a question of proportion.

in 8000 BC, population of the earth was 5 000 000
in 1 AD, it was 300 000 000
in 1900, it was 1 656 000 000

in 2002, it was 6 215 000 000

so of course there are more deaths now but you have to take the proportion into account.

Diver0001:
I beg to differ.

R..

Are you saying that modern wars have killed more people than historic wars? If this is the case have a look into the wars that almost depopulated Europe during the late 1300s through the early 1600s, you must include those who died of disease, and the camp followers who died as well as the innocent killed by all sides and those who starved to death due to the destruction of crops. Modern war is relatively bloodless as compared to historical wars. And a great deal of scientific advancement has come out of war as mentioned by dherbman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom