simple nitrox regulator question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tayl0r

Registered
Reaction score
hello all,

I am trying to decide what regulator to buy right now and am having some difficulty.

regulators like the scubapro mk25/s600, aqualung legend LX, and apecks atx200 are only rated for 40% o2 nitrox from the factory. can you go higher than this with o2 cleaning / parts?

should i get a regulator that is rated for a higher o2 % such as the atomic m1 or apecks tx40 / ds4?

how much does it usually cost to get steel tanks and regulators cleaned for o2 if they have been used for air?

thanks!

-taylor

ALL of this should be covered in a Nitrox class...

If you are Nitrox certified, and never went over this, I would ask you Instructor...

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
ALL of this should be covered in a Nitrox class...

If you are Nitrox certified, and never went over this, I would ask you Instructor...
Back up and think again.... put yourself in that position, much as where I was a few years ago:

I'm preparing to purchase equipment.
I don't want to buy it three or four times... I want the first purchase to be right.
I'm just OW certified, working on my AOW.
I know I will want nitrox, but have no idea what it is.

The questions are still valid and deserve an answer.

tayl0r once bubbled...
regulators like the scubapro mk25/s600, aqualung legend LX, and apecks atx200 are only rated for 40% o2 nitrox from the factory. can you go higher than this with o2 cleaning / parts?

should i get a regulator that is rated for a higher o2 % such as the atomic m1 or apecks tx40 / ds4?

how much does it usually cost to get steel tanks and regulators cleaned for o2 if they have been used for air?

The Apeks ATX200 is identical to the ATX50 except for the 1st stage. The ATX50 is identical to the ATX40 except for the adjustment knob.

Both the Apeks and Scubapro regs you mentioned are fine pieces of equipment. I happen to feel that the Apeks diaphragm 1st stage is a bit more reliable in the long term, but there's nothing wrong with Scubapro either.
The Legend is similar to the Apeks design... I'd stick with Apeks if you want to go that route... better parts availability and interchangeability (Apeks sells only two rebuild kits).

ALL current regulators are fine up to 40%.
All should be O2 cleaned for use with higher levels.
Titanium should be avoided above 40%.

If you're sticking below 40%, you don't have to worry about having your regulator re-cleaned after using it with air. My personal opinion is that deco regs (50% and 100%) should be dedicated.
Personally, all of my regs are overhauled with O2 compatible o-rings and lubricants.

As far as the tank, it's going to vary. My shop cleans tanks (and valves) for $20 (it probably helped that I took him 5 tanks). I've heard as high as $70.
If you are not getting partial-pressure fills, nothing special needs to be done to the tank.
If you are, it should be cleaned, but simply getting a tank of air is not going to ruin the "O2 cleaning" unless the compressor is bad and the air is contaminated. I only get my air from a few places and I implicitly trust them.

thanks RichLockyer, you pretty much answered all my questions.

i just wanted to make sure that the regulator i buy will still work with nitrox over 40%.

you also explained my situation perfectly.
i just finished AOW and plan to take the nitrox class next. the only pieces of gear i have left to buy is a regulator and an exposure suit.

-taylor

Glad to help.
I see you're in San Diego... hook up with Woody and use the Lois Ann for your local boat trips. Woody is a good guy, great skipper, and good NAUITech instructor.

RichLockyer once bubbled...

Back up and think again.... put yourself in that position, much as where I was a few years ago:

I'm preparing to purchase equipment.
I don't want to buy it three or four times... I want the first purchase to be right.
I'm just OW certified, working on my AOW.
I know I will want nitrox, but have no idea what it is.

The questions are still valid and deserve an answer.

Good, then, I see you answered it...

Pat yourself on the back!!!!

Another newbie brought into the light!!!!!

COngrats!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom