My first regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you are made from money, why titanium?
Some may say they don't corrode but you'll be dead long before chrome-plated brass corrodes so that's a non-starter.
They are super-light for the weight obsessed.
If you buy them used, they are about the same or less cost than a conventional rig brand new.
That really cool dull grey color.

The only reason to buy titanium would be for two reasons only.
1. To save weight
2. To get rid of as money as possible short of burning it in a fire place.
I don’t buy the corrosion argument.

I have all sorts of brass regs, some are over 50 years old, and some I have collected have been drug through the gutter. They clean right up and there’s nothing wrong with them. Even badly corroded brass regs of a decent brand can be brought back from the morgue.
The secret is not to let them get that bad in the first place, which isn’t that hard.

And usually, the weight save is just replaced with lead you have to carry!

But you do not need to carry that lead on an airplane and the difference can be a pound or so give or take.

I have seen plenty of corrosion on and inside air barrels in second stages and first stages under the yoke screw and around the retaining nut and internal areas as well. Divers who do extensive or long trips or live aboards might well benefit from titanium corrosion resistance.

Chrome, being a plating over brass, can chip and peel and pit and once started continues. Titanium, is, well, titanium and it needs no plating. And quality chrome plating being environmentally unfriendly so we are told is rare these days and alternative coatings have shown to be less than spectacular. Maybe the cost delta will come down but given the current world situation, not anytime soon.

Unless you are made from money, why titanium?
Not too long ago I bought a mint Mk 11 Titanium first stage for $400. plus a service kit for $10. more. I can buy a new brass Mk 11 for $349. I'm not made of money, but I'm happy with what I got and what I got it for. It's different and it sure is pretty!

But you do not need to carry that lead on an airplane and the difference can be a pound or so give or take.

I have seen plenty of corrosion on and inside air barrels in second stages and first stages under the yoke screw and around the retaining nut and internal areas as well. Divers who do extensive or long trips or live aboards might well benefit from titanium corrosion resistance.
I'll grant you that.

Not too long ago I bought a mint Mk 11 Titanium first stage for $400. plus a service kit for $10. more. I can buy a new brass Mk 11 for $349. I'm not made of money, but I'm happy with what I got and what I got it for. It's different and it sure is pretty!
New? I'm pretty sure the difference is more than $50, but I could be wrong.
(should compare new vs. new, or used vs used)

Not new but pristine. I picked up the mk11 titanium with the S555 reg from Japan for $300. If you hunt it, you will find that sweet deal.

But no, no one NEEDS titanium.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom