Similan Liveaboard - Black Manta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I'm heading back to Thailand to dive the Similans, having done a trip about 6 years ago. Whilst the Daranee was great then, its time to upgrade.

I've read a lot of useful info on the mid-range boats. I'm trying to decide between Black Manta, Old White Manta or Pawara. (or a combo as i plan to do 2 back to back trips in Feb).

I'll be most likely travelling solo. I've read rave reviews on the Black Manta - in people's experience does this tend to be mainly couples? I'd prefer a mix is all in which case am thinking Pawara or White manta may suit better. Any feedback appreciated.

Many thanks!!

MA

Hi MA,

I've been on the BM several times. Every time it has been mixed but with mostly singles vs. couples. I like the BM as it has a really wide back deck to kit up on and a great crew. Will dive again March 28 - April 1 :) Looking fwd to visiting Phuket as well.

Between those 3 I would recommend Black Manta, you could also include Queen Scuba in your shortlist, in many ways comparable to Black Manta.

For back to back trips, it may be more comfortable to stay on the same boat, but a different boat will visit more different divesites. So there is something to say for both. Have you considered doing a Similans trip in combination with a trip to the South Andaman, with places like Hin Daeng? Scuba Adventure is at the moment good value for money as is Discovery. There are more options, but those two boats offer 3 days/3 nights trips, which makes the whole experience much more relaxing and worthwhile in comparison with 2 days.

Thanks to both! I think Black Manta sounds perfect. I love the look of the dive deck - very important when you're there to dive. Except the time I'm there (early-mid feb) one BM trip is booked out. So i will mix the boats - although i would much prefer to go black manta for both. At least i'll be able to offer a good comparison for others!

Stevenl I'll look into the Hin Daeng option. Last time i dived there i didn't enjoy it that much, but i think it was a really rare off day. are three trips a bit over the top?

I would love to sell you 3 trips, but I think it is a bit over the top.
Personally I would prefer 1 Similans trip, maybe 5 or 6 days in stead of the standard 4 days, followed by 1 Hin Daeng trip, preferably 3 days, in stead of 2 Similans trips for the standard 4 days.

I agree with you. I was originally hoping for to head up to burma. But have been reading quite negative reports (for the most part). Next option was 5 or 6 day similan, but in feb didn't seem to be much available. So then i thought 2 trips. Last time i dived similan I wanted to go straight back out and do it all again, so why not just book that from the start. I like diving sites again, i find i see more the second/third time around as i'm not busy thinking about where the boat is! I will think strongly about the hin daeng option instead though.

Hi MA,

What about MV Mermaid II - she has trips with spaces in mid-February for both southern and northern trips.

You can take a regular 4 night Similan cruise or a 3 night cruise to the southern sites and islands of Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Koh Ha and Phi Phi Islands. But the most popular aspect is that you can combine the 2 safaris into a 7-night Andaman Sea Safari and get the very best of Thailand diving in 1 magical trip.

She is definatley an up-grade from MV Daranee but you may find she attracts more couples than singles.

Here is a video of MV Mermaid II.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom