Looking for Similan liveaboard recommendations for experienced divers Feb 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a smaller more professional operation that caters to experienced divers? Something with mid+ level pricing?
I am looking to book something in February 2023.
Thank you for your time.

I know a chap who is diving with this op soon. Euro 721 I may look at the Feb 15 dive trip

Stepped off Big Blue Khao Lak Mv Blue Dolphin earlier this week, brand new boat )did trip 2) with a great spec, cherry picked crew and some of the most experienced dive masters currently operating in the similians. A great experience and I think all the divers on board thought we were on the best boat with the probably the best divers a mix of top photographers, techies and rec divers

Full trip report to follow

In Thailand there are lots of very casual divers on a vacation that is not necessarily dive-focused. People coming in with their own full kit is more of an exception than the rule. It's not rare, per se, but thinking back, I'd say maybe a third of the divers I met on board were using their own kit.

I just came back and the trip was excellent, from my first-timer experiences on a LOB. Thoroughly everything completely. My biggest disappointment was not seeing whale-sharks.... but I have no complaints about anything that was reasonably controllable. I write my own trip report, oriented more towards the first timer on a LOB.

The people on my tour were mostly over 50 yrs old and we've been diving for years, but not intensely. A minority of the people had their own full gear sets, although most had their own wetsuits, masks, and fins. More than half were getting their Nitrox cert on board, and one was doing AOW cert.

I rented BCD/octo/tank and everything was in great working condition. Crew on the Smiling Seahorse was excellent. They also provided little details that just made it easier, like back up equipment for things like SMB, computer, light, in case of failure (none of which happened); and even to things like providing rail clips tied by rope to the rails for hanging clothes/towels. The crew even tied one of my swim trunks to the rail on a particularly windy day.

I just came back and the trip was excellent, from my first-timer experiences on a LOB. Thoroughly everything completely. My biggest disappointment was not seeing whale-sharks.... but I have no complaints about anything that was reasonably controllable. I write my own trip report, oriented more towards the first timer on a LOB.

The people on my tour were mostly over 50 yrs old and we've been diving for years, but not intensely. A minority of the people had their own full gear sets, although most had their own wetsuits, masks, and fins. More than half were getting their Nitrox cert on board, and one was doing AOW cert.

I rented BCD/octo/tank and everything was in great working condition. Crew on the Smiling Seahorse was excellent. They also provided little details that just made it easier, like back up equipment for things like SMB, computer, light, in case of failure (none of which happened); and even to things like providing rail clips tied by rope to the rails for hanging clothes/towels. The crew even tied one of my swim trunks to the rail on a particularly windy day.
I am doing the same trip with Smiling Seahorse mid April :wink: Hopefully it will be as enjoyable as yours ! Any recommendation ? Something not to forget or to organize before ? (I have my own equipment)

Big blue in Koh Tao do arrange CCR only LoB trips from time to time.
Scouse Andy is starting to run these a few times a year often accompanied by an Aussie property man and a vet loving side mounting american

I am doing the same trip with Smiling Seahorse mid April :wink: Hopefully it will be as enjoyable as yours ! Any recommendation ? Something not to forget or to organize before ? (I have my own equipment)
I just came off a week's trip on the Smiling Seahorse. We were scheduled to dive Myanmar but with the current political situation, we wound up doing a North Andaman tour instead.

Had a fantastic trip and look forward to diving with them again in the future. They do a lot of sunset and night dives so make sure to bring a good torch/flashlight.

Good for you! The crew is excellent. Here's quick dump:
- bring a light for the night dives, early morning, or sunset dives
- bring your underwater camera (they accommodate this well with plugs and dry station area of the boat). Bring two surge protectors, one for this room and one for the cabin (unplug when not in use). The power blew at one point briefly, and after that my USB brick was dead. Meh I figure it is a boat.
- i used my gopro; and I wish I had a torch which was more "flood". And it didn't need to be too bright (otherwise it washes out the video)
- don't forget your computer and c-card. of course
- I didn't need any scuba accessories (like dive knife, tank banger, etc). They'll let you borrow a DSMB if you don't have one (you'll often deploy it during the 3 min safety stop, so it needs to have the string and be deployable underwater.
- do the blackwater dive at least once if you've never done them before
- ask the dive guides which sites you cannot miss at the beginning of the trip, so if you need to sit out, you can sit out on one you won't regret not going on. I went on every single dive and I'm so glad
- my 3mm full wetsuit was perfect for the conditions. We got hit by the greenmonster which was really cold (then really warm)
- I paid for nitrox. They had 2 meters and mix was 30/31/32 over the trip.
- they have rail clips so you don't need to bring your own
- they provide reef safe soap/shampoo/conditioner so while on the boat you won't need to bring your own
- if you're american and you don't yet use bidet sprayers, it's time to learn. You'll realize they are superior than wiping with dry paper
- bring reef safe sunscreen or buy from them
- food is good (cook is local Thai). Get the chili/vinegar in the jar in the fridge... it works great with many of the dishes; especially the pag gra pao.
- I could have reduced clothes knowing that I'd be in swim clothes and shirtless most of the time. I was in normal dry clothes only after the post 4th dive shower. Optimize clothing packing accordingly
- I took Bonine once a day and I was fine
- I needed 2 packets of their "gatorade" mix to stay sufficiently hydrated for 4 dives per day (plus all the plain water)
- our dive guides were James, Julian, Jun, and Mint. All of them were excellent.
- I did not need eardrops, but I'm a qtip user.....
- I'm glad I brought Lukotape. I had to use it a few times
- The Sook hotel in Ranong was a nice stay, and conveniently right in the middle of the weekend night market
- Ranong is a nice area; I visited Phonrang Hot Springs, mostly locals, really nice place, very recommended. plan on 1-2 hours. So many nice things in the area, you could easily spend a few days here visiting the National Park, etc.
- bring the 1000+ baht per day tip for the tip box at the end. The crew totally deserves it. And more
- the gear is "magically" soap rinsed at the end of the trip by the crew; really nice. Hang your stuff up on the roof deck. Mine was dry by the time we got back to the dock.
- the pineapple cookie biscuits are delicious
- how to pick a passion fruit (from the fruit bowl): if it's just beginning to be spongy and barely wrinkled. If it's firm it's not ripe (sour), if it's too wrinkled it's getting old and dry

@poifromthebag
Thank you for your advices, It answers some of my questions !
Why did you use Lukotape ?
By the way do we need a reef hook ? I saw on their site that they are talking about it. I did not think we would need reef hook on this kind of dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom