Looking for Similan liveaboard recommendations for experienced divers Feb 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No matter how long the trip I always take two swimming shorts. I alternate between dives. Put one out to dry and wear the other. If the one doesn't dry, I put it on anyway. It's gonna get wet as soon as you jump in. I take one t-shirt per day and one pair of non-swim shorts to wear around the boat and to sleep in.

But we're sort of minimalists. My fully loaded dive bag including all dive gear, clothes, toiletries, logbook, etc., weighs 16 or 17 kilos (35-37 pounds).

Hmmm... I may have to wait to get off the boat to do the real load... :)

But how long were your trips, and how many swim trunks was "good"?

The rooms on the Smiling Seahorse look more geared towards couples. The "bunk" configuration looks like the shelf is turned into a "bed". Maybe I should pay the full occupancy.
Never had laundry service on a liveaboard nor really needed it. A pair of shorts and a couple of t shirts are all I have ever needed. Maybe a light hoody for the evening or after dives. I do tend to be a minimalist though.

Regarding swim trunks, I bring 2 pairs of lycra shorts for under the wetsuit. That way always have a dry pair ready to go for the next dive.

As for the occupancy. I would expect them to fill the rooms so as not to take a loss. You may luck out though.

Never had laundry service on a liveaboard nor really needed it. A pair of shorts and a couple of t shirts are all I have ever needed. Maybe a light hoody for the evening or after dives. I do tend to be a minimalist though.

Regarding swim trunks, I bring 2 pairs of lycra shorts for under the wetsuit. That way always have a dry pair ready to go for the next dive.

Sounds like me, although I don't use a wetsuit. Someone gave me a long-sleeved rash guard which I do use.

I forgot I also bring 2 pairs of lycra socks to swap on dives. Been using the last few boats and they are great for sliding into a wetsuit as well as helping with any chafing issues from repetitive diving.

Laundry service!!!
I have participated in a few scuba forum and this is the first time that the topic has been brought up.
I was skiing with my mate on a two wks trip and he brought along pants and socks in a multiple of 13. I brought only 3 because I washed them everyday and dried them over the radiator in the room.
Swimming trunk? Only 1.
Pant? Also only 1
Shorts with brief? 2 - 3 depend on the duration of the trip.
Keep the groin area clean and dry, one thing I learnt from long trekking trip.

I didn't even think of on boat laundry service until I saw listed as a bullet in the description. But I am trying to optimize down to just a roll aboard.

I'm debating on if I should bring my boots/fins... and even 3mm full wetsuit... all space suckers. (I don't have BCD/octo/tank/etc). For sure will bring my mask/snorkle/computer/shorts/SMB.

I didn't even think of on boat laundry service until I saw listed as a bullet in the description. But I am trying to optimize down to just a roll aboard.

I'm debating on if I should bring my boots/fins... and even 3mm full wetsuit... all space suckers. (I don't have BCD/octo/tank/etc). For sure will bring my mask/snorkle/computer/shorts/SMB.
You are going for a LoB without all those personal equipment! Wow!
What make you think the boat can bail you out? LoB boat usually do not have a huge selection of equipment for the clients. They do expect you to bring everything you need.
It will be too late if the on board rental bc/fins/suit is too big/small.
Incredible.

What make you think the boat can bail you out? LoB boat usually do not have a huge selection of equipment for the clients. They do expect you to bring everything you need.
I've never been on a liveaboard that didn't have full sets of gear available for rent. Regarding the Smiling Seahorse specifically, IIRC they use Aqualung regulators, BCDs, wetsuits and fins, and Suunto Zoop computers. I have not partaken myself, but from what I've seen, the rental gear seemed to be in good shape. Prior to the cruise, they do get in contact with you and ask if you will need to rent gear, what parts, and in what size, when applicable.
The rooms on the Smiling Seahorse look more geared towards couples. The "bunk" configuration looks like the shelf is turned into a "bed". Maybe I should pay the full occupancy.
The standard cabins can be configured as two singles, with an upper and lower bunk, or as a double, with the lower bunk getting extended to twice the normal width, and the upper bunk turning into a shelf. I have been, on two occasions, on a cruise that was about half-full and ended up alone in a cabin at no extra charge (in those cases, they set me up with a double-wide lower bunk + shelf), but that was during COVID travel restrictions. I don't know what the typical occupancy is like this season.

I've never been on a liveaboard that didn't have full sets of gear available for rent. Regarding the Smiling Seahorse specifically, IIRC they use Aqualung regulators, BCDs, wetsuits and fins, and Suunto Zoop computers. I have not partaken myself, but from what I've seen, the rental gear seemed to be in good shape. Prior to the cruise, they do get in contact with you and ask if you will need to rent gear, what parts, and in what size, when applicable.
1. First come, first serve.
2. Wet suit from the same manufacturer can have different cutting. Size has no meaning unless put on it personally. We all build differently.
3. Fins is another interesting one.

OP has his own booties/fins/wet suit but reluctant to bring them along because of bulkiness.

1. First come, first serve.
In Thailand there are lots of very casual divers on a vacation that is not necessarily dive-focused. People coming in with their own full kit is more of an exception than the rule. It's not rare, per se, but thinking back, I'd say maybe a third of the divers I met on board were using their own kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom