Looking for Similan liveaboard recommendations for experienced divers Feb 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now to figure out where to stay in Phuket. I'm not interested in partying, but would love to hire a boat to those amazing water/rock areas you see in movies all the time. Night market food, and grab a beer to see what the phuss is all about... to chill, not party.
You need to spend more than 1 day after the LoB.
Beach:

Island tour:

Night market:

You need to spend more than 1 day after the LoB.
Beach:

Island tour:

Night market:
Yes. Railay and James Bond island are exactly what I was referring to.

I'm concerned that due to only having 1 full day in Phuket (I haven't figured out where yet), if I'll be able to get to those destinations. Are they day trips by boat? Do I need to stay on the East coast of Phuket?

Yes. Railay and James Bond island are exactly what I was referring to.

I'm concerned that due to only having 1 full day in Phuket (I haven't figured out where yet), if I'll be able to get to those destinations. Are they day trips by boat? Do I need to stay on the East coast of Phuket?
AFAIK, you do not have the time to visit both places in one day. The distance to Railay Beach is too far.

James Bond Island + Night market in Phuket old town can be done on the same day.
Day tour usually including hotel pick up and drop off.

My wife and I went on a Smiling Seahorse trip in March of 2021. We normally use Thai boats, but at that time, during the pandemic, there wasn't much available. That trip departed from and returned to Ranong, so we decided to drive. We live in Korat so made it a two day trip with an overnight at our condo in Cha Am. The drive from Chumpon on south on Hwy 4 was nice; especially the portion along the Kra Buri River which forms the border between Thailand and Burma. We spent one night in Ranong.

The boat itself is well designed and very convenient for diving. One thing I like about the boat is that it has no indoor lounge and instead devotes that space to a very large open air deck for dining and gathering. Another convenience is the fin-friendly stairs which make it easy to board the boat from the water without having to remove one's fins.

I believe that this boat is based in Ranong not because of Ranong's proximity to the North Andaman but because Smiling Seahorse's main business was to be trips to Burma. The coup and subsequent pandemic put an end to that so they have been doing Thai Andaman trips instead.

I believe that this boat is based in Ranong not because of Ranong's proximity to the North Andaman but because Smiling Seahorse's main business was to be trips to Burma. The coup and subsequent pandemic put an end to that so they have been doing Thai Andaman trips instead.
As I was told, the problem with trips to Burma during the pandemic is that there is no mechanism for getting back into Thailand. They do have trips there scheduled for this season, so it must've been resolved.

@poifromthebag
You really have to consider this:
1. Overnight in Ranong after the trip.
2. Ranong is 300km from Phuket.
3. Trip to James Bond Island depart in the morning from Phuket.
4. You only have 1 day in Phuket.
5. Forget spending the night in Ranong and make dash to Phuket instead. Traffic will be light in the evening.

I first visited Thailand in 1977 and have lived here since 2005. I have never been to James Bond Island or Railay (sp?) Beach and have no plans to visit either. This morning I happened to be in Chonburi City and spent 2+ Hours wandering around small fishing villages nestled in mangrove forests and strolling among lovely old wooden houses and shophouses in the Chinese business district. It was a delightful morning of solitary exploration in the kinds of places many visitors might long to see, but never manage. Ranong has similar sights on offer. Why not spend the night and give it a shot.

Packing question. It looks like there’s laundry service on board. How many swim trunks to pack for a 6 day trip? How feasible is laundry?

BTW... how filled are the LOB boats nowadays? I'm wondering if I'm really going to have to share a room with a stranger or not.

I've never been on a dive boat with laundry service. I guess I'm not living large enough.

We've been on two trips this year. North Andaman in February aboard the Mariner Bunnag and Losin in August aboard the Tapana. Both boats were fully booked.

I've never been on a dive boat with laundry service. I guess I'm not living large enough.

We've been on two trips this year. North Andaman in February aboard the Mariner Bunnag and Losin in August aboard the Tapana. Both boats were fully booked.

Hmmm... I may have to wait to get off the boat to do the real load... :)

But how long were your trips, and how many swim trunks was "good"?

The rooms on the Smiling Seahorse look more geared towards couples. The "bunk" configuration looks like the shelf is turned into a "bed". Maybe I should pay the full occupancy.

Back
Top Bottom