Looking for Similan liveaboard recommendations for experienced divers Feb 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone thinking to hire a scooter in Thailand please make sure you have a recognized driving licence and a helmet.
I have seen it so many times when drivers were pulled up by the police.

There are far more to see and explore in Northern Thailand/Laos and Feb is perfect because of the weather.

Not a problem at all. I understand that in the Caribbean, it's customary to just chuck pairs of divers into the water, but in SEA, all dives are guided, so you're a part of a group of up to four divers.

I've met a diver there that was fresh out of her AOWD course, she came out of the trip very happy.

The home base is in Ranong, but last season they were cruising up and down the coast - Ranong to Khao Lak, Khao Lak to Phuket (not Patong though; they docked in Phuket Town which is on the other side of the island), then back up the coast to Khao Lak and Ranong again.

I haven't used it myself, but from what I saw, it's all in good condition. Haven't seen other divers have any issue with it.

It's a mix, served buffet style. The couple that runs the boat is French, but the chef is Thai.

Luck of the draw, really. Early and late in the season, chances of rough weather are higher, mid-season like February it should be calm.

May would be pushing it with regard to weather, but anything up to March, possibly April is good.

If you're comfortable on a scooter, get one in Phuket; the taxis there are infamous for their pricing. I wouldn't ride one in Bangkok traffic though.

Don't think there's any specific time that's better than others; don't count on seeing one - they're getting pretty rare these days. If you want guaranteed whale sharks, there's Oslob in Philippines.

Group sizes, accommodation (en-suite showers, aircon, etc), specific routes.

It's certainly a good investment. When you're diving four times a day, hitting the NDL gets quite easy.
Thanks for the detailed reply!

Regarding the home base... I noticed that Ranong is a ~5 hour drive from Phuket. Since I'd like to add some days in Phuket, and since there is an international airport there, it seems more convenient if I could board and disembark the LOB with Smiling Seahorse from there. Do they do that? And on that note, do most LOB's going to Similan go from Phuket?

Oh wait... now I see.... closest land point to Similan is the Ranong area. So do most LOB's going to Similan take off out of Ranong so that's where passengers need to meet the boat?

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Regarding the home base... I noticed that Ranong is a ~5 hour drive from Phuket. Since I'd like to add some days in Phuket, and since there is an international airport there, it seems more convenient if I could board and disembark the LOB with Smiling Seahorse from there. Do they do that? And on that note, do most LOB's going to Similan go from Phuket?

Oh wait... now I see.... closest land point to Similan is the Ranong area. So do most LOB's going to Similan take off out of Ranong so that's where passengers need to meet the boat?
Most Similan boats take off from the Khao Lak area. North of Phuket about 1.5 by car. The Smiling Seahorse departs Thap Lamu pier in Khao Lak and finishes in Ranong where they are based.

Most Similan boats take off from the Khao Lak area. North of Phuket about 1.5 by car. The Smiling Seahorse departs Thap Lamu pier in Khao Lak and finishes in Ranong where they are based.
Did you figure out a boat to go on? I’m also from Seattle looking for what you are no Cattle boat trip and good reputable operators and boat. I’m hoping to combine a trip to Thailand with my soon to be booked Raja Ampat trip in February.

Did you figure out a boat to go on? I’m also from Seattle looking for what you are no Cattle boat trip and good reputable operators and boat. I’m hoping to combine a trip to Thailand with my soon to be booked Raja Ampat trip in February.
I think I have settled on the Smiling Seahorse. I just need to push go and book it. Gets good reviews and the itinerary works for me.

I did Raja Ampat last trip and it was amazing. Can't wait to go back! I'm currently planning a return trip to Raja via Ambon for some muck diving. Sounds like you are in for an epic adventure.

Big Blue are now taking bookings for a completely new boat. The DM's have been working with Smiling Seahorse the last year or so, I am going on the second voyage on the new boat

I'm looking at the Feb 20-25 start (Tham Lamu pier in Khao Lak) and end (Ranong)
Q: what time do you usually meet the boat and what time do they get to the end?

I'm trying to figure out my hotel stays and when I need to transit by car from Phuket to Khao Lak, and when I can book a return flight from Ranong to Bangkok. Will I have to stay in Ranong overnight? Or would I be able to get out on a 12 noon flight?

I'm trying to figure out my hotel stays and when I need to transit by car from Phuket to Khao Lak, and when I can book a return flight from Ranong to Bangkok. Will I have to stay in Ranong overnight? Or would I be able to get out on a 12 noon flight?
Coming from, most likely, Richelieu Rock to Ranong, figure on a late afternoon/early evening return. You definitely won't make the noon flight - you don't want to be flying right after a couple dozen dives anyway, give yourself a bit of time to decompress.

Departure is generally in the late afternoon / early evening as well. Talk to Camille, she can arrange a hotel pickup for you.

I'm looking at the Feb 20-25 start (Tham Lamu pier in Khao Lak) and end (Ranong)
Q: what time do you usually meet the boat and what time do they get to the end?

According to the itinerary, the boat departs Tham Lamu around 6 pm on the 20th and arrives in Ranong around 8 pm on the 25th. I have booked the same boat and plan on leaving Phuket around 2-3 pm for the 1.5-hour drive to Khao Lak. Departing the boat I plan to stay overnight in Ranong and fly to Bangkok the next day after off-gassing.

According to the itinerary, the boat departs Tham Lamu around 6 pm on the 20th and arrives in Ranong around 8 pm on the 25th. I have booked the same boat and plan on leaving Phuket around 2-3 pm for the 1.5-hour drive to Khao Lak. Departing the boat I plan to stay overnight in Ranong and fly to Bangkok the next day after off-gassing.

Ah thank you Barmaglot and Mr Sunday.
I see now in the itinerary that the last day includes 3 dives, so yes, I will need to stay over night to off gas.

Overnight in Ranong it is.

Now to figure out where to stay in Phuket. I'm not interested in partying, but would love to hire a boat to those amazing water/rock areas you see in movies all the time. Night market food, and grab a beer to see what the phuss is all about... to chill, not party.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom