Silk Air and luggage concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@jamesdiving... they give you FREE singapore slings on Singapore airlines!! That is what I was talking about!!! ( or at least they used to.. has that changed???):0)
No way, they have to be about the WORST thing in Singapore! And at US$20+ each, they're not exactly a bargain either.

Be aware that the Silk Air baggage increase did NOTHING for divers. They added 10 extra kilo in Economy but got rid of the extra baggage allowance for scuba equipment. They also increased the price per kilo overage fees (from $8/kilo to $10/kilo). We flew out of Singapore last week to Manado and they told us we were a kilo over at 59 kilos for the two of us even though we should have been allowed 60 kilo total --but she let it go since it was only one kilo. We fly back from Manado to Singapore with the "new baggage rules in effect" so will see what happens tomorrow. We should be under a few kilos on stuff we consumed or aren't bringing back with us.

I would not sweat the weights but I would be very concerned about my luggage making it to Manado. Our 2nd checked in bag went missing for 2 days.
They gave us $1,000,000 ($100 US) but I had foolishly left my 3 battery chargers in that bag and was sweating it out. Although our dive bag came with us I was in 1 pair of shorts & shirt, no meds, etc. There was no place where we could buy temp replacement stuff either. When we arrived in manado on silk air and the carousel stopped, there were about 10 of with missing stuff in some cases ALL their stuff.....We are now in the process of evaluating our must have carry on stuff.

Geez the Singapore Slings at Raffles are one of the worst cocktails I've dver tasted and at the price . . .yeesh. I'd had the slings at home over the years and were usually yummy so had assumed that the drink at Raffles (place of the drink's invention) would have been delicious. Who'd a thunk?

In any event, I'm concerned about weight restrictions since have to spend time in Jakarta before Sorong and so will already be carrying more than usual clothes + dive gear. I'm not known for traveling light in the first place. You people are making me very concerned. :(

Ronski101 - did you connect in Singapore from an international flight (or series of international flights)? It's virtually unheard of for luggage to go missing at Changi on a direct Singapore Airlines/SilkAir flight.

Ronski101 - did you connect in Singapore from an international flight (or series of international flights)? It's virtually unheard of for luggage to go missing at Changi on a direct Singapore Airlines/SilkAir flight.
Changi is a great, modern airport with the accompanying extremely high prices in the multitude of shops there. As an example, the price of their Rolexes is thousands higher than you can get for the same model in the usa. Yeah like I could afford one.
We checked our 3 bags at LAX through to manado and when we got to Manado, only 2 came with us. Fortunately our dive gear was in one of the two that came. However, there were numerous people on our flight from? who did not have any luggage upon arrival. We stayed at a resort on the strait and the mgr said silk air is always shorting their customers luggage and with only 3 flights per week, there is a 2-3 day delay in it showing up. Could be the smaller plane which is at capacity for passengers just does not have room in their cargo hold for all the luggage that is transferred from Singapore air.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that being an issue with SilkAir and for that reason (among others) always considered Bunaken/Lembeh/Bangka as a "less hassle" dive trip, at least compared to other Indonesian destinations requiring multiple connections from Singapore.

As for the high prices, I'm afraid they don't stay at Changi. The SGD is pretty strong and this is, on paper at least, an exceedingly wealthy country. Property prices here make Manhattan or Mayfair look cheap and everything else is priced accordingly. Cars are four times their list price in Europe (plus you need a Certificate of Entitlement to buy one - about USD 50k) and USD 12 for a local beer is a mid-range price.

On my last trip to Manado with Silk Air in July I had 35Kg of hold baggage and was asked if I was going diving which I confirmed and has no issues.

I usually enjoy a day or two in Singapore before moving on to visit some friends and spend money in various dive shops :)

Back
Top Bottom