Silk Air and luggage concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pediatron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,
My husband and I will be traveling on Silk Air from Singapore to Manado. We understand that Silk Air allows an extra 10 kg for dive gear, but want to get some clarification of how this works. (We have tried calling them several times with no good answers). Do they weigh (our potential 3 bags) together as a couple and use the 60 kg we would have available (we are likely to be a bit over no matter how we pack it)? They said something about weighing the dive gear separately -- do they really have you unpack your bags? Do we have to split to 4 bags because they treat us separately? Any advice from someone who has done this route would be appreciated. We cannot check our bags from the US because we have about a day and a half in Singapore (will be staying at the Crown plaza and seeing a bit of the town).
One other question is whether we will have a problem carrying a backpack plus a regulator bag each (as our "personal" item).
Thanks!!

Hi,

I'm not sure of the exact regulations but I've done this route a couple of times and never had any issues in terms of baggage. A huge proportion of the people on that flight on any given day are divers - you won't be some unusual situation that SilkAir aren't using to dealing with.

Generally Changi Airport is very efficient and easy - security clearance is done at each individual gate which helps, and Immigration is lightning fast. It's regularly voted "Best Airport in the World" - and for good reason.

Manado Airport is a bit smaller (!) and less modern, but still reasonably efficient in my experience - though the Visa on Arrival queue can be a bit annoying if you're sitting at the back of the plane (hint: don't).

Cheers,
James

they count as a couple - so u have 60kg between 2 person.

u can carry on a bag and a reg bag. no problem.

Just to add, if you're spending some time in Singapore I'd advise going to the SkyBar at the top of Marina Bay Sands. Tickets to the viewing gallery are SG$20 - don't bother with those, say you're going to Ku De Ta for a drink instead. That's free entry and actually a better view.

With Singapore alcohol prices about the highest in the world that SG$20 will buy you a beer or a glass of wine instead; all the better to enjoy the sensation of standing 57 stories up on top of one of the world's most unlikely buildings surveying one of the world's most unlikely countries.

My wife and I went to Manado 3 weeks ago from Australia via Singapore--Singapore Airlines to Singapore and then the same Silk Air (a Singapore affiliate) flight you're asking about from Singapore to Manado.

In Australia, we checked our luggage from Australia to Manado even though we were overnighting in Singapore...It was convenient if you can carry whatever you need for the overnight in your carryon.

We checked in on the outbound trip with 56kg in 3 bags and were told that with the fare we had paid, the maximum they would allow for free was 50kg. The implication seemed to be that if you've paid more for your ticket, they are a little more forgiving with the limit. We paid for the extra 6kg @$25/kg from Adelaide to Manado.

On the return (a week ago), we checked in at Manado with 54kg and didn't pay anything.

I suspect you'll be fine with your arrangements...as someone else said...its (nearly) all divers flying Singapore-Manado on the weekends...my friend called it the 'dive shuttle'...and they are used to the higher baggage allowances.

We have done that route 3-4 times with no baggage problems at all. You will be fine with carry on too! Have fun!

Update - yesterday Singapore Airlines announced increased baggage allowance on all flights (including SilkAir) in all classes. Now 30kg per person in Economy.

Singapore Airlines -- News Releases

Yet another reason Sing Air is one of the best airlines in the world... and another reason I love living in Singapore.

Reactions: MA
Not to mention the " singapore slings!"
Yet another reason Sing Air is one of the best airlines in the world... and another reason I love living in Singapore.

Reactions: MA
No way, they have to be about the WORST thing in Singapore! And at US$20+ each, they're not exactly a bargain either.

Back
Top Bottom