Silicone sealant on mouthpiece?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
The mouthpiece tube on my 1980 Conshelf reg has a different shape from most “modern” regulators. It is smaller and squarer with a sort of horizontal flattish profile. I have sifted through a box of miscellaneous mouthpieces and ended up with a Scubapro one as the closest fit, but even with a zip tie as tight as possible it still leaks a fine spray of water- especially below 60 ft.
I am thinking about putting a bead of silicone sealant under the mouthpiece (with no zip tie on) and then tightening the tie when the silicone gets rubbery. The only silicone sealant I can find here is “Aquarium safe” but not described as “food safe”, does anyone know if this will be safe to use once the silicone has cured (say 24 hours)?

I’ve tried silicone, but didn’t really work as good as hoped. So I went with aquaseal. Much more secure. No leaks.

Unless I am missing something Aquaseal contains toluene and the MSDS states that it is a respiratory irritant. Not sure I want that under my mouthpiece?

The mouthpiece tube on my 1980 Conshelf reg has a different shape from most “modern” regulators. It is smaller and squarer with a sort of horizontal flattish profile. I have sifted through a box of miscellaneous mouthpieces and ended up with a Scubapro one as the closest fit, but even with a zip tie as tight as possible it still leaks a fine spray of water- especially below 60 ft.
I am thinking about putting a bead of silicone sealant under the mouthpiece (with no zip tie on) and then tightening the tie when the silicone gets rubbery. The only silicone sealant I can find here is “Aquarium safe” but not described as “food safe”, does anyone know if this will be safe to use once the silicone has cured (say 24 hours)?

Just make the zip tie tighter.

You may have a problem other than the mouthpiece. The pressure differential between inside the reg and outside, at the surface and at 60', are the same. The mouthpiece should leak at all depths not just at 60'.

Bob

If it is indeed an issue with the mouth piece I would find some thick rubber bands that are the width of the edge of the mouth piece and put them on. They would act a soft shim/spacer and fill any gaps. You could make your own from an old inner tube. I would not use silicon or other sealants.

The toluene will dissipate/evaporate as the aquaseal cures so the respiratory irritant concern will not be factor.

-Z

I would avoid any kind or sealer to avoid the mess that you would have clean on the next servicing/mouthpiece change.

Are you certain it is the mouthpiece and not the exhaust valve or diaphragm?

If so, have you tried a mouthpiece like this one?

Store | Vintage Double Hose

It has a smaller opening than the new styles.

Back
Top Bottom