Missing Zip-Tie = drowning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's for 100 zip ties. I think I paid about half that some years ago.

I think Tobin is actually a fan of a variety of those stainless-tongued zip ties. After all, DSS BCs use those to hold the inflator to the corrugated hose.

As long as they're stainless, and they're cared for along with the rest of your stainless gear, I don't think corrosion would be a big problem.

Another problem with losing a mouthpiece is that the unexpecting diver may not know that all that has happened is that the mouthpiece has come off the reg. Aside from the panic of suddenly inhaling water, from their perspective, they've just experienced a total regulator failure. Why don't they just go for their octo? Panic takes care of that train of logical thought.

Check out this video - seems like a similar failure occurred, and the diver has no real idea what to make of it.

How often do you change out zips on a mouth piece. I just checked mine. Their the typical black ones, and as tight as when I put them on 4 years ago. I'm feeling like I should change them but they are tight.
I like the ones you have Thal. They look streamlined.

We have some on an old reg set that are at least 10 years old. They really don't go around rotting on you under normal circumstances.

I do end up changing mine every year or so, but that has more to do with keeping my favorite mouthpieces on upgraded second stages and such...

Regulator mouthpieces come in different sizes. I think there are three standard sizes (so much for standards!). You generally don't have to breath off a second to determine if the mouthpiece is attached well. A visual inspection generally is enough even if I think DA Aquamasters post is a great idea.

If the zip tie is not loose, and you tug on the mouthpiece a bit and it is not loose, likely all is well at least from a mouthpiece perspective. A properly fitted mouthpiece generally fits rather snug.

I'm curious if this was a replacement mouthpiece or a well used regulator. Zip ties generally hold things on fairly well, and don't get loose.

Actually you are wrong. Having a mouthpiece fall off during an inhalation can cause immediate aspiration of seawater. I've inhaled a few drops of pool water and ocean water into my lungs a few times (on the surface) and it feels terrible and causes uncontrollable coughing. Of course if this happens underwater, someone should not panic, but it sounds like a damn good excuse to do so to me.

I was on a dive boat with a guy who very nearly died from this, solo dive, working hard, shooting fish at around 110 ft and he turned his head, hose got caught and mouth piece came off and he immediately sucked down seawater. Tried to deploy his octopus and could not get to it due to poor placement/configuration and then he just swam as fast as he could for the surface. He said it was getting very dark and was looking down a narrow tunnel when he hit the surface. He barely was concious.

So let's count up the mistakes here, all of which have nothing to do with the zip-tie:

- Solo dive

- Could not easily reach his Octo

- Panic

- Uncontrolled ascent

I'll say it again: A mouthpiece is NOT REQUIRED for your 2nd stage to work. Anyone whose ever taken a breath through a regulator will recognize this fact.

You seem to be blaming the zip-tie or lack thereof, when in fact it was the poor rigging, poor incident management and the resulting uncontrolled ascent that put him in danger.

Bottom line: You can breathe just fine off of a 2nd stage that has no mouthpiece.

-Charles

What you are missing is that, believe it or not, the second stage can pull out of the mouthpiece virtually unnoticed (trust me, that's what happens ... just watch the video, it's classic), the diver then inhales a big slug of water unless they have those finely tuned freediver reflexes and then ... trouble is on the way, big time. Sure when they stop coughing they can recover their primary second stage, but that's problematical.

What you are missing is that, believe it or not, the second stage can pull out of the mouthpiece virtually unnoticed (trust me, that's what happens ... just watch the video, it's classic), the diver then inhales a big slug of water unless they have those finely tuned freediver reflexes and then ... trouble is on the way, big time. Sure when they stop coughing they can recover their primary second stage, but that's problematical.

Exactly!

Also, in case no one mentioned this... The way to check if the mouth piece is secure on the reg is not to pull on it, that might tear it. You should attempt to TWIST the mouthpiece. If it twists, the zip tie is missing or possibly too loose. If it spins relatively easily, you need to take a hard look at the mouthpiece.

Off course, you should check for rips in the mouth piece, but twisting it is non-destructive testing and very simple.

What you are missing is that, believe it or not, the second stage can pull out of the mouthpiece virtually unnoticed

No, I understand that. I know you are right. I just can't understand why someone here did a CESA because his mouthpiece fell off. My belief system incorporates the notation that a CESA is a last-ditch, nothing-else-can-be-done kind of effort.

-Charles

Back
Top Bottom