Mouthpieces coming off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree with tbone that it's not an issue with the zip tie. If the mouthpiece fits correctly there's no reason you need to crank way down on it. Get a mouthpiece that fits snugly.

I have to agree with tbone that it's not an issue with the zip tie. If the mouthpiece fits correctly there's no reason you need to crank way down on it. Get a mouthpiece that fits snugly.
Maybe we just have different ideas of what "tight" means?

The original equipment mouthpieces on my sherwood regs are very easy to slide on. As do a variety of replacement mouthpieces. If you can push it on, even a snug fit will come off since there is nothing holding it in place.

With the standard design a "tight" tie wrap is very necessary. You need to make sure the tie wrap is tight enough to prevent the mouthpiece from sliding off.

I sent a note to DGX, where I had purchased the mouthpieces, and they have updated the product description to make people aware of the loose fit.

I have been unable to find smaller mouthpieces at reasonable prices, and I have six of these second stages, so I'm going to use the stronger, standard zip tie and call it good, unless problems continue.

I sent a note to DGX, where I had purchased the mouthpieces, and they have updated the product description to make people aware of the loose fit.

I have been unable to find smaller mouthpieces at reasonable prices, and I have six of these second stages, so I'm going to use the stronger, standard zip tie and call it good, unless problems continue.
Double check your zip tie.The goal of the zip tie is to prevent the mouthpiece from coming off. It accomplishes this by creating a circle smaller than the second stage mount.

You need to ensure that the ID (Inside Diameter) of the mouthpiece directly underneath the ziptie is smaller than the OD (Outside Diameter) of the Ferrule on the second stage.

If this is achieved, the mouthpiece cannot come off - even if it is loose. My divebuddy's mouthpiece is a moldable tooth bite design and the material is stiffer than the generic pieces. Since it is stiffer, it is much harder to compress by the zip tie. So it exhibits a little bit of wiggle. But it can not come off.

I suggest you do a test: try to pull a mouth piece off. If you can pull it off, then it is not mounted correctly (zip tie too loose or mouth piece way too large to allow proper tightening.)

P.S. LDS horror story: During an annual service my LDS once "decided" that my octo NEEDED to have a bright red mouthpiece instead of the OEM black one. Adding insult to injury, the new zip tie had not been trimmed. Or tightened properly. At the store counter I was able to easily pop the new mouthpiece off of the reg. Unfortunately they had already disposed of my original mouthpiece. I ended up with a "free" red mouthpiece and this experience started me down the road of servicing my own gear.

I pulled as hard on the mouthpiece as I could without risking a rip to the rubber. It stayed on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom