Sidemount Regulator (Beginner)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
C

Cyztem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a regulator set to use for side-mount but there are many brands and models for it, so advice or insight would be appreciated it. (might be used for technical in the future)

Most expensive to least expensive (from what I research so far)
1.) Apeks XTX50 - High standard, great quality breath well (what I am currently using but it's for single), however, it is the most expensive (not sure if I am that ready to invest in)
2.) DIve rite X1 - Heard that it is a common choice for the not-too-high or too-low quality regulator (mid-tier), but also haven't tried it as well
3.) HOG D3 - Heard that it is a similar design as the Apeks, but cheaper, and not as good quality as Apeks, but haven't tried it personally

At first, thinking of getting the HOG, but there is such a limited review, so any thought on it would be very useful.

If there is any regulator, I should look into, please let me know. Thank you!

I’ve dived the Apeks and the Dive Rite. DR regs are fine. Sold my Apeks and have all DR now. I prefer to go for a brand that’s been around for a while vs a newer one (Deep6), but that’s just me. Self service is not something I do.

Second that.

Just sent in my regs for their first service (free) after 2 years. STELLAR customer service and turnaround time.

My first set was a set of DR. No complaints. Another outstanding company with incredible customer service.

I am looking for a regulator set to use for side-mount but there are many brands and models for it, so advice or insight would be appreciated it. (might be used for technical in the future)
Are you buying local in Japan/Thailand? Or over the Internet? Almost all the brands are good. Pick based on availability, service availability, and price. Just make sure that the reg has a good port layout for Sidemount, this usually means a turret and 5th port.

Any of the standard Apeks regs are good. The ATX40s are fine second stage regulators and cheap too. The twiddly knob cracking resistance on the XTX50s aren't really useful in the real world. Save a few bucks/quid and get the cheaper ones.

First stages generally have a turret for the hose to rotate. Also a "5th port" sticking out of the top of the turret's good as it nicely routes to the drysuit and wing inflate. This means that the Apeks DST is good and so is the ScubaPro Mk25.

DST's are relatively cheap.

Obviously if you're buying second hand you need to factor in a regulator service. Unless you know the history of the regs.

Generally speaking, second hand is massively cheaper than new.

And sorry to the dive shops, but buying the most shiny expensive regulators is a waste of money. The old ones work very well and are a fraction of the cost. Apeks I'm looking at you here.

any of those choices should be fine, although my experience with DR and Hog is that the tolerances/quality control are a bit lower so they generally don't work as long before needing a service. look into getting apeks from europe if you can also, as it is significantly cheaper there, about 400 euro for the XTX50/DST.

If you're willing to buy used, there's a huge market for pre-owned Scubapro regulators (just make sure all are serviced before use). You can find older Mk25 first stages and S600 / G250 second stages for pretty cheap.

Back
Top Bottom