Sidemount Regulator (Beginner)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
C

Cyztem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a regulator set to use for side-mount but there are many brands and models for it, so advice or insight would be appreciated it. (might be used for technical in the future)

Most expensive to least expensive (from what I research so far)
1.) Apeks XTX50 - High standard, great quality breath well (what I am currently using but it's for single), however, it is the most expensive (not sure if I am that ready to invest in)
2.) DIve rite X1 - Heard that it is a common choice for the not-too-high or too-low quality regulator (mid-tier), but also haven't tried it as well
3.) HOG D3 - Heard that it is a similar design as the Apeks, but cheaper, and not as good quality as Apeks, but haven't tried it personally

At first, thinking of getting the HOG, but there is such a limited review, so any thought on it would be very useful.

If there is any regulator, I should look into, please let me know. Thank you!

If you have an XTX50 set, I would purchase another one and just swap the hoses when you switch between single and sidemount. Much cheaper (if you're looking to save some $$) and only takes 10-15 mins to swap everything.

Ideally you'd have two sets, (one for sidemount, one for single tank), so think of this as a workaround to save $$ for now.

I prefer to go for a brand that’s been around for a while vs a newer one (Deep6), but that’s just me. Self service is not something I do.

I am not sure I understand this. True, Deep 6 has not been around as long as DR but the person who designed the Deep 6 regs has been around a hell of a long time. Not only that but he designed some of the Oceanic regs and Hog regs.

I also don't know if I would consider Deep 6 new but if everyone stayed away from a new manufacturer and only bought the old guard, the scuba business would fall flat on it's head. Why buy a KISS when there are Megs and Revos galore available?

To the OP, the ability to get your regs serviced is a real factor. If you want to do it yourself, Deep 6 has a great option for that. Although to be fair, I don't service my regs until something goes wrong with them.

I currently dive Deep 6 regs and used to dive DR. The DR regs breathed more wet than I would like when inverted and they felt cheaper when you are holding them. Is there a fatal flaw with them? No, there is not and many divers use them but I was one who disliked them.

The Apeks regs are great but are super pricey compared to some other options. Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with.

Well, buy something which is locally available and can be serviced locally. For instance, in the EU HOGs, Deep6 and DR are not really available. So it does not help you that these brands have good regulators and have good customer service. Scubapro, Apeks/Aqualung and some other brands sell worldwide.

Best wishes Jens

The Apeks regs are great but are super pricey compared to some other options.
Apeks are cheap and you can always find them under rsp. For some reason some brands like Santi and Apeks are WAY more expensive in the US than in Europe. The prices in the European online shops inlcude about 20% of VAT, the US prices are without tax. So when you look at prices online you have to consider that.

Deep6 is super pricey, especially for a brand that sells directly to the consumer.
Since OP is not in the States I would not recommend DR, Deep6, DGX or HOG. Those are basically local US brands and you probably wont find parts or service outside the States.

I also don't know if I would consider Deep 6 new but if everyone stayed away from a new manufacturer and only bought the old guard, the scuba business would fall flat on it's head.
The issue with regs is that you might not be able to find parts for regs from small companies a few years down the road. Some of my SP and Apeks regs are over 20 years old and parts are still available all over the world. And you can get parts for MK10s that are over 30 years old. That's a huge plus, IMHO. There are lot's of brands where you can't get parts anymore or new crap like what xdeep has sold... 2 recalls in a years or two and are paperweights now.

One option is to just use whatever regulators you have, and just swap the hoses, at least until you have a better idea what you want or will need.

I started out SM with some old Scuba Pro MK10s & G250s. Zero complaints there, they worked great! I since "upgraded" to a set of MK25s & S600s, but don't really notice a difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom