Sidemount Regulator (Beginner)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
C

Cyztem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a regulator set to use for side-mount but there are many brands and models for it, so advice or insight would be appreciated it. (might be used for technical in the future)

Most expensive to least expensive (from what I research so far)
1.) Apeks XTX50 - High standard, great quality breath well (what I am currently using but it's for single), however, it is the most expensive (not sure if I am that ready to invest in)
2.) DIve rite X1 - Heard that it is a common choice for the not-too-high or too-low quality regulator (mid-tier), but also haven't tried it as well
3.) HOG D3 - Heard that it is a similar design as the Apeks, but cheaper, and not as good quality as Apeks, but haven't tried it personally

At first, thinking of getting the HOG, but there is such a limited review, so any thought on it would be very useful.

If there is any regulator, I should look into, please let me know. Thank you!

Plus if you order using regular post (so not dhl), you can always ask the store not to include the receipt in the package therefore skipping the tax when the reg is imported. The savings from ordering from the EU, especially when USD is so strong are unbelievable. I bought a new xdeep tec for 400$ before shipping, which is cheaper than buying used on SB.

View attachment 781538

If OPs base currency is JPY than the USD point obviously doens't apply.
Where did you find the xdeep rig for that price?

:rofl3: I'm with @ScubaWithTurk on this one, that's a new one for me! Deep6 makes a great quality reg for less than half what many SP and Atomics are selling for. I love mine!
Looks like Turk is plugging his friend's gear though. I don't see a reason why anyone would buy something like deep6, especially not when you're outside of the US like the OP. I posted a link to a Apeks set for 900 bucks... you can get g250/mk25 for a little more and you can actually get parts for those outside everywhere and not just from one place in the States.
I think deep6 is a Scubaboard thing for some reason.

1. When you diving sidemount with a regulator that is used for single, what do you do with the leftover octo? Do you keep it or remove it?
Probably better to take a class before you go and buy stuff. All of your question will be adressed in a class.
Having said that, for rec diving on vacation you're much better of just using a single tank and backmount, IMHO.

Speaking about the setup, I have some questions outside the regulator discussion if that is fine with you.
1. When you diving sidemount with a regulator that is used for single, what do you do with the leftover octo? Do you keep it or remove it?
2. I understand that sidemount BCD is good as it wraps around the body and optimizes for sidemount. But is it possible to start it with the backplate that had the necessary attachment? (Buttplate, D-ring, Shoulder Bungee, etc...)
3. In Japan, 10L aluminium tank is pretty popular, does this mean that if I go to Thailand with 12L aluminium, I need to readjust the trim on sidemount?
4. I saw an instructor dives in sidemout BCD, but with a single tank during for recreational dive. I just wonder how will he share air if it has only a single second stage on it.
5. Is it common/hard to dive sidemount but with only single tank?

Thank you for all of the comment and insight on this stuff!
1. For SM you need two 1st stages and two 2nd stages. If your current alternate 2nd stage (octo) is the same or similar quality to your primary 2nd stage, you can use it. But if it's one of the cheaper 'puck' or compact alternate 2nds, don't use it.
2. No, you need a dedicated SM harness to dive SM. You can buy them or it is possible to make one out of parts but that's pretty advanced, and you still need a wing (bladder) that is designed for SM. I use the razor system and I like it a lot. Lots of people like the Xdeep stealth system.
3. I don't know about 10L vs 12L AL tanks. In the US we use cft, and the standard AL tank is 80cft. But for sure learning to dive SM requires a lot of fiddling to adjust trim regardless of the tanks you use. This is why it's best to find an excellent SM instructor.
4-5. Some people do dive SM single tank, you couldn't pay me to do it. The balance issues alone would kill it for me. (Watch, someone will post how much they love it, pay no attention to them!) If someone is diving with a single tank, they need an alternate 2nd stage (or pony) regardless of the gear configuration. SM is kind of trendy these days and some people advocate using it in all sorts of situations, regardless of whether it's in fact practical or even appropriate. SM was developed as an independent doubles system for cave diving (sump diving, originally) and it's excellent for that. But diving off a boat for recreational, OW, single tank diving? It just doesn't make any sense.

2. No, you need a dedicated SM harness to dive SM. ...
Need might be overstating it a little. Some of the early sidemount systems were based on adapting BP/W setups. But, I don't think anyone would recommend it now!

4-5. ...SM is kind of trendy these days and some people advocate using it in all sorts of situations, regardless of whether it's in fact practical or even appropriate... But diving off a boat for recreational, OW, single tank diving? It just doesn't make any sense.
It is not the best tool for the job, but if you are skilled enough at SM it is still a good enough tool for recreation OW diving. If you are just learning, you will drive the boat crew, your fellow divers, and yourself crazy trying to use it for a normal tourist dive.

Looks like Turk is plugging his friend's gear though. I don't see a reason why anyone would buy something like deep6, especially not when you're outside of the US like the OP. I posted a link to a Apeks set for 900 bucks... you can get g250/mk25 for a little more and you can actually get parts for those outside everywhere and not just from one place in the States.

Yes they are my friends but I was diving Deep 6 fins and regs before I even knew who they were. The friendship developed later. I mention gear I believe in and gear that I personally dive. I would never plug a friend's gear if I thought it was suboptimal.

Hi @Cyztem

I see us mentioned on here a few times, so if you have any questions or would like me to get you in touch with a local seller in Japan, let me know!

Now to address a few of the comments so far in this thread......

Deep6 is super pricey, especially for a brand that sells directly to the consumer.

This may be the first time I have heard someone call us pricey, given all we provide with an initial purchase. We certainly aren't the cheapest, but we are far from the most expensive brand on average.

I aim to keep us about average in comparison on cost, but with extra value added via benefits and other services. We are the only brand on the planet that provides a free set of service kits with initial order, and a free first service if you wish to return them to us when you need it. Our warranty coverage and customer service are second to none.

We also aren't only direct to consumer as we have an extensive dealer network, with many shops from North America all the way to Asia.

Since OP is not in the States I would not recommend DR, Deep6, DGX or HOG. Those are basically local US brands and you probably wont find parts or service outside the States.

I won't speak for others listed, but we (Deep6) have global distribution. We also have multiple distributors in Japan, which is where the OP is located. He could buy locally if he wishes. Given that our total international sales are larger than our US sales, I would call us a global brand, not a local US one.

The issue with regs is that you might not be able to find parts for regs from small companies a few years down the road.

you can only get parts from the US... and who knows if they're still around in 3 years.

This isn't true, at least for us, and I have covered it ad nauseam on here. Others can search for the multiple times this non-issue has been addressed.

Shipping doesn't cost that much.

I agree, shipping isn't that expensive, so why so much talk about parts availability? Seems with a simple shipping label it wouldn't be much of a problem. Even less of a problem after being provided a free set of kits initially, and multiple non-US sources for getting more.

Yes, I would agree we are very popular here, for good reason. Exceptional products, customer service, and support, at reasonable prices have helped us establish a great presence.

I see us mentioned on here a few times, so if you have any questions or would like me to get you in touch with a local seller in Japan, let me know
Cannot find any UK distributors.
That link (https://www.deep6gear.com/storelocator) is broken on your website.
Looking at regulators shows loads of hoses with ghastly colours.
Are the regs CE tested?

I hear a lot of noise on ScubaBoard about Deep6, so you’ve obviously got a good brand following. Would be nice to get some information and even buy the kit outside of the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom