Sidemount Regulator (Beginner)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
C

Cyztem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a regulator set to use for side-mount but there are many brands and models for it, so advice or insight would be appreciated it. (might be used for technical in the future)

Most expensive to least expensive (from what I research so far)
1.) Apeks XTX50 - High standard, great quality breath well (what I am currently using but it's for single), however, it is the most expensive (not sure if I am that ready to invest in)
2.) DIve rite X1 - Heard that it is a common choice for the not-too-high or too-low quality regulator (mid-tier), but also haven't tried it as well
3.) HOG D3 - Heard that it is a similar design as the Apeks, but cheaper, and not as good quality as Apeks, but haven't tried it personally

At first, thinking of getting the HOG, but there is such a limited review, so any thought on it would be very useful.

If there is any regulator, I should look into, please let me know. Thank you!

The savings from ordering from the EU, especially when USD is so strong are unbelievable.
The currancy hardly makes a difference. USD and Euro doesn't swing that much. It's only some brands that yank up the price for the US. Santi and xdeep do it, Rofos is from Italy and is basically the same price in the States as in Europe.

The currancy hardly makes a difference. USD and Euro doesn't swing that much. It's only some brands that yank up the price for the US. Santi and xdeep do it, Rofos is from Italy and is basically the same price in the States as in Europe.
Buying in 2021 is 25% more expensive vs October/November 2022.

I got a bunch of new things from a Spanish shop when USD/EUR rate was at 1. Without import taxes, it was cheaper than buying second hand.
1682865327522.png

Cherry picking two dates that were the peak/bottom point in a given time period doesn't explain why some manufacturers are significant more expensive in a market when others are not.

Thank you very much for all the reply!

I have been reading the replies so far and summarized them into these points:
1. The ability to service regulator is a primary concern
(I haven't stayed in Japan for long, but I did recognize that Scubapro, Aqualung[Apeks], Cressi, BISM, and Gull are used here, so I think service should be fine.... DR might not be as good, as it requires you to buy them from the store here to have a valid warranty from what I see, but I need to check)
2. Apeks and other brands have different pricing depending on where you are
(Apeks in EU is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, but I would need to look at the brand and their import law to Japan. if you have any advice, let me know [Japan and Thailand Apeks price are ridiculous])
3. Used regulator that had been serviced is a good and economical solution
(I haven't found a secondhand market for the scuba stuff in Japan yet, but I will definitely look onto it)
4. Buy another regulator and use it together with the old one
(I am just a little bit worried about the screw and the constant changing of it, so I prefer just to get another set, should be good as a stage bottle or during solo dive in the future as well)
5. HOG is good but I should look at other brands
(This is due to the low mention of HOG and encouragement to try other brands)

If I mention something wrong, I apologize and please let me know so I can edit to make sure correct information is presented!

Since the service is the primary concern, should I learn or get a certificate so I can service myself? Here, I found that I can do the HOG self-service certification for my own regulator which is why I ask about HOG at first. But due to the encouragement to try other brand, I think I will leave out HOG for now.

But thank you very much, I am leaning toward Apeks (something I know and always used before [It is okay to say brand loyalty]) from EU and importing it in, but I need to check the cost of shipping and such.

I will keep updated if I finally buy the regulator! Thank you as always!

Cherry picking two dates that were the peak/bottom point in a given time period doesn't explain why some manufacturers are significant more expensive in a market when others are not.
I did not say a single word about manufacturers in my reply.

It was in response to the below. For me a 20-25% discount vs a year ago is a measurable amount. Maybe for you it itsnt.
The currancy hardly makes a difference. USD and Euro doesn't swing that much.

And it was not cherry picking, it was just the default x-range of the chart I had. Here is more history for you.

Even if it was, it doesn't matter because it doesnt change the argument.

1682879624111.png

Huh? Have you ever looked at what the regs actually cost?
You must have never talked to anyone not American and people that never looked up what stuff costs.
The last xtx50/DST I bought from a brick-and-mortar was 320 bucks... Deep6, like the one from the set is double that and you can only get parts from the US... and who knows if they're still around in 3 years.
Even Scubapro g250/MK25 is cheaper than the Deep6 equivalent.

I don't get the appeal of deep6. For being direct to consumer it's way overpriced.

I don't get why anyone would buy anything Santi in the States instead of ordering from Europe either. Paying 1200 or 1500 extra for nothing is nuts. Shipping doesn't cost that much.

No, I have never looked at the cost of the regs :rolleyes: Also never talked to anyone not American. Especially living in Bali and the 3 years I lived and worked in the U.A.E. ..it is all Americans, all the time.

I love my Deep 6 regs. Just told someone yesterday that they are the only regs I dive. I trust the regs with my life. I also support my friends.

As for Apex...I almost bought the XTX50s/DST when I was in the U.A.E. but I got the Deep 6 regs cheaper than than I could the Apeks regs.

Thank you very much for all the reply!

I have been reading the replies so far and summarized them into these points:
1. The ability to service regulator is a primary concern

3. Used regulator that had been serviced is a good and economical solution

4. Buy another regulator and use it together with the old one

Since the service is the primary concern, should I learn or get a certificate so I can service myself?
I edited your post for clarity, I hope you don't mind. Self servicing of your regulator is a very practical solution for someone with some mechanical skills and inclination. It's not difficult, but you need to know how to be careful, you need to have some basic curiosity and ability to understand how things work, and you'll need someone to teach you a few things. You don't need a certificate to do well, although you might find buying parts for some brands easier if you take their specific course on service. The rules about this probably vary quite a bit from country to country.

With regards to buying an additional regulator and converting the one you have to SM, as long as your current regulator is DIN and has an end port and/or turret, that's a fine idea. I don't know what you were referring to when you said "the screw and constant changing". For me, occasionally I do a trip where most of the diving is SM doubles, and a few OW dives with a single tank. To facilitate that, I have to bring a longer HP hose (24") and a longer LP inflator hose (14") and I switch the hoses around. Is that what you were talking about? If so, worry not. But it does sound like you'd have a ways to go before you understand enough about regulators to service them yourself.

I wouldn't get too worked up about this; again, any of the regs you mentioned will work absolutely fine, just make sure you have the turret and end port. Most people who do well in SM have had some instruction in specific SM set ups and adjustment, not to mention all the new skills that diving SM requires to do really well with it. I have seen a lot of pretty bad SM divers, and you don't want to be one of those. So find an excellent SM teacher that can help you, and he or she will very likely have good advice about the regulators.

I edited your post for clarity, I hope you don't mind. Self servicing of your regulator is a very practical solution for someone with some mechanical skills and inclination. It's not difficult, but you need to know how to be careful, you need to have some basic curiosity and ability to understand how things work, and you'll need someone to teach you a few things. You don't need a certificate to do well, although you might find buying parts for some brands easier if you take their specific course on service. The rules about this probably vary quite a bit from country to country.

With regards to buying an additional regulator and converting the one you have to SM, as long as your current regulator is DIN and has an end port and/or turret, that's a fine idea. I don't know what you were referring to when you said "the screw and constant changing". For me, occasionally I do a trip where most of the diving is SM doubles, and a few OW dives with a single tank. To facilitate that, I have to bring a longer HP hose (24") and a longer LP inflator hose (14") and I switch the hoses around. Is that what you were talking about? If so, worry not. But it does sound like you'd have a ways to go before you understand enough about regulators to service them yourself.

I wouldn't get too worked up about this; again, any of the regs you mentioned will work absolutely fine, just make sure you have the turret and end port. Most people who do well in SM have had some instruction in specific SM set ups and adjustment, not to mention all the new skills that diving SM requires to do really well with it. I have seen a lot of pretty bad SM divers, and you don't want to be one of those. So find an excellent SM teacher that can help you, and he or she will very likely have good advice about the regulators.
No problem! Much appreciate to be honest! And also thank you for making it very clear what is the main issue. I want to learn more about it but don't have many sources to compare.

The current one is the Apeks DST with XTX50/XTX40 and without the 5th port. It is DIN (My instructor in Thailand would slap me if I bought yoke, lol). It is as you expected, "the screw and constant changing" is the hose configuration and that stuff. Just worry that I can over-tighten or like cause unnecessary wear on them, which can cause leakage. But now that you mention it, I am not sure how often I will dive sidemount.

I don't mind learning to self-service my regulator. It looks very interesting, but from what I see, it seems very common for people to self-service their own regulators than send them off. A little surprised but glad that it is a norm here.

Speaking about the setup, I have some questions outside the regulator discussion if that is fine with you.
1. When you diving sidemount with a regulator that is used for single, what do you do with the leftover octo? Do you keep it or remove it?
2. I understand that sidemount BCD is good as it wraps around the body and optimizes for sidemount. But is it possible to start it with the backplate that had the necessary attachment? (Buttplate, D-ring, Shoulder Bungee, etc...)
3. In Japan, 10L aluminium tank is pretty popular, does this mean that if I go to Thailand with 12L aluminium, I need to readjust the trim on sidemount?
4. I saw an instructor dives in sidemout BCD, but with a single tank during for recreational dive. I just wonder how will he share air if it has only a single second stage on it.
5. Is it common/hard to dive sidemount but with only single tank?

Thank you for all of the comment and insight on this stuff!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom