sidemount for deep diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are some issues/complications diving in mixed teams of sidemount and backmount. Nothing insurmountable but not the ideal situation for a course.

Just one example: Depending on the setup a sidemount diver may not be able to donate the reg they are breathing in an OOA emergency. An instructor who only dives a Hogarthian setup and is totally used to giving/receiving the reg being breathed may not care for that.

There are only issues because the team members let there be issues. I have taught mixed classes and haven't seen any issues. If the divers are trained properly and are competent in the configuration they are diving, then these "issues" disappear.

Kevin Carlisle:
Rob I am wondering, in order to teach someone in SM dosnt the instructor have to be a SM instructor as well? I think maybe some people mistake the difference between must be in BM and instructor can't teach you in SM.

It depends on the agency. I can teach TDI courses in sidemount even though TDI doesn't have a sidemount course. Same with PSAI.

SuPrBuGmAn:
IMO, thats a good call on the instructor's part. If they don't have the experience in SM, I'd rather they not try to teach me in that configuration. Part of knowing their own limits.

If at that point, you want instruction while in SM, you just go to a SM capable instructor.

Excellent point and excellent advice!

ok. Nothing wrong with having a sidemount rig in your repitoire.
But understand our concern... anyone ready to buy a sidemount rig and dive sidemount wouldn't generally be asking about its appropriateness for use on deco dives.
:)
Rick

Sorry, Uncle Ricky, I have to disagree with you here.

If one is looking to the future, and has researched a bit on the next steps in training, this is a perfect question to ask.

1. It means the questioner has determined s/he will need more than one tank.
2. The questioner has determined that deco is part of future training.
3. The questioner has determined that backmount is not the only option.

It's all about the information gathering and determining the options for the future.

Sorry, Uncle Ricky, I have to disagree with you here.
Why's that? The two operable words in my post are "concern" and "generally."
Read it again... you really agree with me, way down deep inside :)
Rick

Why's that? The two operable words in my post are "concern" and "generally."
Read it again... you really agree with me, way down deep inside :)
Rick

So you're equating the "ready to buy" with having already asked all the general questions? :idk:

So you're equating the "ready to buy" with having already asked all the general questions? :idk:
Not at all... concerned that (as one fellow in particular that I know of has recently done) a diver might let his wallet outrun his abilities, and try to use more gear than is prudent too early, ending up scaring himself badly, or worse, hurting himself. Follow-on posts negated that concern in this case; My post that you quoted was saying "OK," and then explaining to the OP that our initial concern wasn't criticism of his asking the question ... but, indeed, concern.
There are many questions that require a clarification as to the questioner's intent if we are to answer responsibly.
Rick

Ah! . . . In my case, I intend to learn lots about everything I can. Right now, I don't know enough to even know what to ask, but I do appreciate y'all in this thread. I am learning a lot from just your discussions.

:hugs:

BS, Tortuga asked a short, direct question. I answered with a short, direct answer. If he wanted detailed step by step instructions and 10 examples of each circumstance for using tanks clipped off in a given position, his question should have been far more engaging.

Thanks to everyone that freely shared their various experiences and provided their detailed thoughts on the topic; it's been a most informative thread for non-sidemount divers such as myself, I have learned a lot and look forward to your continued input

My interpretation of SSI standards and TechXR text allows the use of sidemount. I attended the introductory sessions for TechXR and Steve Newman made it clear that SSI's philosophy on equipment was to combine standardization within the team with flexibility across the range of tech equipment choices. Rick

Just saw this post an wanted to respond/clarify: Nothing in the SSI standards or materials requires "backmounting" your "back gas". Perhaps the better term would be "bottom gas" in the current environment. Although I will admit that at this time our program materials are oriented to the backmount diver the instructor can choose to sidemount if he is qualified to teach sidemount and/or he is a sidemount diver working with already qualified sidemount divers. We have a sidemount course on the horizon but it will probably be after the first of next year.

Safe Diving
Mike Ange
SSI Tech XR Program Manager

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom