sidemount for deep diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm almost certain this was a case of instructor teaches in BM only(infact, I'm 98% this is the same instructor I went through for all my Cavern/Cave courses), for the reasoning that they(instructor) dive BM primarily.

IMO, thats a good call on the instructor's part. If they don't have the experience in SM, I'd rather they not try to teach me in that configuration. Part of knowing their own limits. :)

If at that point, you want instruction while in SM, you just go to a SM capable instructor.

FWIW, I know that my instructor has been doing alot of SM diving this year, so he might be teaching in that configuration in the future - but not until he's sure he's competant in it. No need to be like the rash of other new SM instructors, who've JUST learned to dive that way and want to teach it.

[ignorance]
If someone takes SideMount from an instructor, and . . . gets certified? I don't know, can you get certified in Sidemount? . . . Can that same person then go take Tec or Cave from an instructor that dives BackMount?

It seems if they are already trained and comfortable in their configuration, then it should not impact on the class . . .
[/ignorance]

There are some issues/complications diving in mixed teams of sidemount and backmount. Nothing insurmountable but not the ideal situation for a course.

Just one example: Depending on the setup a sidemount diver may not be able to donate the reg they are breathing in an OOA emergency. An instructor who only dives a Hogarthian setup and is totally used to giving/receiving the reg being breathed may not care for that.

There are some issues/complications diving in mixed teams of sidemount and backmount. Nothing insurmountable but not the ideal situation for a course.

Just one example: Depending on the setup a sidemount diver may not be able to donate the reg they are breathing in an OOA emergency. An instructor who only dives a Hogarthian setup and is totally used to giving/receiving the reg being breathed may not care for that.

Does that mean sidemount cave divers have two 7' hoses?

... Also SSI requires BM but I have never asked Mike Ange for clarification...
Where? References to "back gas" don't necessarily mean "back mounted." "Independent doubles" are specifically accepted and their mounting arrangement is not specified beyond "held by bands or quick-mount devices." My interpretation of SSI standards and TechXR text allows the use of sidemount. I attended the introductory sessions for TechXR and Steve Newman made it clear that SSI's philosophy on equipment was to combine standardization within the team with flexibility across the range of tech equipment choices. I read that as "carrying your back gas in a sidemount arrangement is ok so long as the team's standardized in their sidemount rigging and procedures."
That said, I haven't had any students who want to do it for TechXR... yet... :)
Rick

No, we have a long and a short. What he meant is that we SM divers swap between breathing right and left tanks to keep the about equeal. Some might have a problem with that cause we might be breathing off our left reg when the OOA diver needs the reg and then we hand them one that we are not using at the moment. In BM cave training they use the words haand off your working reg. So with that some could raise an argument but its pretty invalid IMO. Its just word play, one diver will alway wind up getting the reg not being used.

No... not me, anyhow. The chances of having a failure of your cylinder that has the 7' hose on it at the same time that your buddy has a total gas failure is approximately the same as your having a failure of your reg that has the 7' hose on it if you're running manifolded doubles, isn't it. And... a total gas failure using independent doubles is extremely remote as well, yes? There's no manifold to fail, eh?
And if things really, really turned to total ****, you can go no-mount and each take a cylinder through the restriction, right?
Rick

Some do... but most don't.

There's 24,203,242,232..3..4..5 and counting ways to SM.

Most will use a single long hose, in the event of an OOA, they pass off the reg in their mouth. If that happens NOT to be the long hose. Make sure everyone is calm, and... swap regs! Then exit. Assuming a mixed team.

Some do... but most don't.

There's 24,203,242,232..3..4..5 and counting ways to SM.

Most will use a single long hose, in the event of an OOA, they pass off the reg in their mouth. If that happens NOT to be the long hose. Make sure everyone is calm, and... swap regs! Then exit. Assuming a mixed team.

That number might be on the conservative side.:D

thinking about sidemount and is it practical for deco dives.

This was last week in Cayman. Seemed to work fine.

(And yes I know the deco tanks are hanging too low,but they were rentals and I was on vacation................)

Attachments

• sidemounr.jpg
    sidemounr.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 117

Back
Top Bottom