Sidemount and helmets in open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@boulderjohn
As I said I am not talking about cave diving to any degree!!!

Those sites are normal open sites!
They do not count as 'cave' since they are way too small (and unknown anyway), they do not count as 'cavern', since there is no light there.

I sometime accompany certified cave divers at those sites as well as diving alone or with sports divers.
That is quite normal and has nothing to do with 'illegal cavediving'.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

If you are entering a natural overhead outside of the light zone, you are entering a cave. It does not matter how big it is. The purpose of this post is to clarify that advocating going beyond the light zone in a natural overhead is not allowed.

If you are entering a natural overhead outside of the light zone, you are entering a cave. It does not matter how big it is. The purpose of this post is to clarify that advocating going beyond the light zone in a natural overhead is not allowed.[/modpost]
I will not talk about it further.
But we are still talking about helmets, aren't we??

As I said, that is one of the problems of open water divers wearing helmets.

To clarify:

That would make a lot of sites here impossible to dive.
There are a lot of places with no trace of light even without overhead.
That can start at depth of 3 meters or less, often is normal at 10 and below.

No vis situations are normal diving conditions for me, as well as overhead (and I am not talking about caves) and for anyone of decent experience I know.

If you would like to take the course I wrote named "Understanding Overhead Environments," I would be glad to arrange it. You will learn the differences between the different kinds of overhead environments, starting with swimming under the anchor chain and ending with caves and complex wrecks. You will learn why different overhead environments require different levels of training and equipment. It is a PADI approved course. You can get a certificate card saying you took the course, but that card won't qualify you to go into a cave.

Entering any tourist wreck in Egypt was more challenging by the way.

Yeah, I remember you posting video of the dive into the Salem Express. An official sea grave where penetration is forbidden.
So much for abiding to local rules.

So why don't you just stop advocating unsafe dive practices? Just because others are stupid doesn't make it right for you to join them.

And on my facebook group I recently had to defend a GUE instructor showing his fun video of 'scootering salem express'.
Some had a huge problem with that.
Of course he had permission.
Did not matter to some.

What some think to be stupid practices is normal to others.

And my own Salem Express dive was with two boats anchored there and 40 people in the water and inside the officially allowed parts of the wreck.
Safari boats always offer that option for years now.

And on my facebook group I recently had to defend a GUE instructor showing his fun video of 'scootering salem express'.
Some had a huge problem with that.
Of course he had permission.
Did not matter to some.

What some think to be stupid practices is normal to others.

You didn't have permission to dive it. Period. Again it's a sea grave and not all bodies have been recovered, certainly not the belongings of the deceased.

We had this discussion before and last time around you were banned for your trolling. Are you trying again by advocating all this? Why?

I am not advocating it.
I have done it and I cannot hide it in a forum because everyone can see it who can see my youtube channel.

[picture snipped]
With a bit of practice it does not blind the buddys at all.
Much less than when I hand-carry a light I think.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use a light without a cord for use on a helmet?

Wouldn't it make more sense to use a light without a cord for use on a helmet?

Well, not if you want to put your primary, which almost certainly has a cord, on your helmet. Which I do sometimes when cave diving. But note that I don't have my long hose wrapped around my neck at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom