Sidemount and helmets in open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but in my case I always dislocate the GoPro, often enough on decent.
It also runs out of juice before the dive ends most of the time, even with the extrenal battery attached.

I always get excessively angry realizing the camera caught a lot of empty water and missed the thing I was watching for five minutes.
So I gave up on getting that to work for me.

I use aftermarket batteries and typically dive for 70 - 80 minutes...I've not had the battery run out...down side is it takes forever to upload the movie...

I do use a helmet, and it's mighty usefull, but not in open water. I use it 10% under water and 90% out of the water.

Helmet mounted lights are out of the hands, but as the light emerges close to your eyes, the back reflection gets into the eyes too. If there is the slightest amount of suspended particles in the water, a head mounted light is really bad. If the visibility is absolutely zero, then of course there is no difference.

Face to face communication (if there is space for such) suffers too as the buddy may be dazzled.

Light communication is easier with hand held lights: It is easy to do OK-cicles with hands, but not with ones head. I'm not an owl.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom